Skip to main content
Topic: enablePreviousNext (Read 5006 times) previous topic - next topic

enablePreviousNext

Any objection removing the option and make it on by default?

QuoteEnable previous/next topic links
This will show a link to the next and previous topic.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Re: enablePreviousNext

Reply #2

Yes.  I have it turned off.  What you want to see as next is too context sensitive.  Next in section?  Next in unread list?  I recall in SMF they didn't even honor the sorting of topics used before you started reading one.  I have start date based views of certain sections and the next / previous wouldn't honor those so it just made it odd.

Reply #3

hmm... and any objections to remove it entirely and create an addon to replace it? O:-)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #4

I have it off too.  ;)

Reply #5

Seeing reply #2 I'd say leave it ON by default and leave it that way, so an admin can disable it easily. I think most people will like to have it on, so it better stay that way. Don't really think you should add useless addons this time ;) (and, for people not knowing, I am one with a 140+ mods smf forum ;D)
~ SimplePortal Support Team ~

Reply #6

Quote from: emanuele – hmm... and any objections to remove it entirely and create an addon to replace it? O:-)
Why?  It works now.  Is this gnome where we want to keep removing choices and making people jump though hoops to get them back?

Reply #7

You said it doesn't work as expected. :P

I'm always asking about little stuff that looks not really worth an option, and if you (in general) tell me that it's not used (even more because it's unreliable), my reaction is "what you think about removing it?", just that. ;)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #8

Ugh.  Totally reversed what you were saying in my brain.  I mapped it to the addon allowing prev/next it to be disabled.  Sorry.  (No idea why I thought that as it sounds so silly.)

Yes I'm fine with the feature itself being an addon.

Reply #9

Quote from: scripple – Ugh.  Totally reversed what you were saying in my brain.  I mapped it to the addon allowing prev/next it to be disabled.  Sorry.  (No idea why I thought that as it sounds so silly.)
There's 2 of us then... #_#

Quote from: scripple – Yes I'm fine with the feature itself being an addon.
I'm not. Why removing a feature that can be easily switched on/off with no issues? Or why adding an addon for something you already have? Too much an hassle, and a step backwards IMHO.

Reply #10

It's called, reducing the Core product, for better simplicity, as well as size, loading, etc.

Reply #11

Reducing and cutting useful functions? A single function like this won't reduce nothing but a few bytes, not even kilobytes. Same applies for loading.
Sorry, won't change my mind after seeing what scripple said :)

Reply #13

So... verdict is yes, remove the option and make it default; leaving the themes to decide if they want a link? I think that makes sense and it is very easy to do in like 10 minutes. @emanuele ?