Skip to main content
Topic: More prominent upgrade notice (Read 2232 times) previous topic - next topic

More prominent upgrade notice

We should have a popover/up/whatever. A big fat notice all over. Pretty much, be annoying to the admin when there is an upgrade. Let them hide it but bring it back up weekly or so. If someone is logged in as an admin, check it once a day on any page. It's a simple AJAX call that loads a relatively small JSON file and does a little checking. It would only happen for admins so it's not really a big deal.

We could make it a scheduled task even. Then the task would do all of the checking. So long as the scheduled tasks were running, it would work. Then it could email the admins from their own domain, send them a PM, and set the switches to make it known to ON.

Re: More prominent upgrade notice

Reply #1

Should be easy to add in 1.1.  The code for what version you have vs the current is already available, so increasing its use should not be to difficult.   Could do it just like we do with the admin session notice or the repair_settings notice, etc ... so when they log in to the admin section they get the notice.

Reply #2

I think he meant on any page, not just in admin area. Something like the "You have an active admin session" block if you are admin.
~ SimplePortal Support Team ~

Reply #3

To be more clear ;) I'm indicating I don't like that idea, but I'm fine with increasing the level of "announcement"  in the admin area.  There could be legit reasons why someone does not want to upgrade, or even had to downgraded due to an issue.  Last thing they want is a popup every time they logon.

Reply #4

I guess it makes sense :)
~ SimplePortal Support Team ~

Reply #5

Quote from: Spuds – To be more clear ;) I'm indicating I don't like that idea, but I'm fine with increasing the level of "announcement"  in the admin area.  There could be legit reasons why someone does not want to upgrade, or even had to downgraded due to an issue.  Last thing they want is a popup every time they logon.

Could it not be shown until Dismissed?