Skip to main content
Topic: Feature Request for 2.0: Replacing smilies with emoji (Read 6328 times) previous topic - next topic

Feature Request for 2.0: Replacing smilies with emoji

I propose for ElkArte 2.0[1] that we should replace the smilies with emoji fully.

why? because the smilies feels outdated and the expressions are limited.

while emoji it covers much more expressions, maybe too many. but the design is pretty modern too.

at least there are 2 open sourced emojis we can use:
twemoji https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
emoji one: https://github.com/emojione/emojione

thanks.

sorry for my bad english.

Re: Feature Request for 2.0: Replacing smilies with emoji

Reply #1

Have you seen this?
http://addons.elkarte.net/feature/emoji.html
sorry for my bad english

Reply #3

Please not. Think about the translations. I can't translate a few thousand emoji codes, and we can't force everyone to know the then needed english names for emotions and such. We must keep with a graphical overview of offered smileys. Smileys which can be clicked to copy them into the text field. For those who don't need to know the necessary codes of these emoticons.

Reply #4

Please do note I'm neither in favour, nor against the idea.
@Jorin I don't think anyone knows all the emoji codes even though they are present in several applications nowadays that do use the codes. I can think of slack, discordapp off the top of my head, just because are two I use almost daily, and both, along with the possibility to type the codes, have the user interface to select the emoji needed, almost the same as whatsapp.
I repeat, it's not that I like or dislike the feature, just saying there are technical solutions to the problem of knowing the emoji code (also provided I guess nobody is even typing the normal emoticons code nowadays).
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #5

There can be a way to show them as a list or something? I didn't know that, sorry. I thought I have to begin to write the name of the emoji and then a list appears...

Reply #6

What will you do with old posts that already have smileys?  Also aren't emoji kind of annoying in that every device shows a different image?

Reply #7

Quote from: Jorin – There can be a way to show them as a list or something? I didn't know that, sorry. I thought I have to begin to write the name of the emoji and then a list appears...

if on mobile the emojis are in the keyboard. and with information from google analytics, the visitors of my forum and sites are using mobile devices upto 70% from total, at least 50% never under. and the trend is increasing.

what i thought is we better use the emoticon that widely used and some can say standards in most communication platform to replace current smilies. more complete (or too extensive) of expressions and the design more pleasing/modern.

https://blog.discourse.org/2015/12/emoji-and-discourse/

and this idea came from the other topic  for elkarte 2.0. i just thought we should use emojis while we're at it. and emoji is a unicode standard: http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr51/

but it's up to elkarte dev to implements it, i'm just a user.

Quote from: scripple – What will you do with old posts that already have smileys?  Also aren't emoji kind of annoying in that every device shows a different image?
it's just different styles of emoji, but they can be expected available on all mobile devices.

i think there will be migration script to replace the image used to emojis, thankfully the current smilies are pretty small.
Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 08:25:48 am by kucing
192.MY.ID: Forum ISP Indonesia.

Reply #8

Quote from: kucing – yes, i have used it in the past but it's broken.
It would be helpful to note what is "broken" in that addon's thread.  Not that I have much time to work on it but still ...

Reply #9

One of the issues with using emoji is that you get different displays depending on device and browser.

Also, does that presume you're going to have two systems: one for emoji (whether that converts back and forth from real emoji codes to images) and one that's just for straight images that the admin sets up?

Reply #10

hmm... to be honest i don't know. but with the vast amount of expressions in the emoji set, i seldom not finding any to represent/emphasis what i write.

-

OOT, hi @Arantor ! it's been years to see you since wedge.
192.MY.ID: Forum ISP Indonesia.

Reply #11

I find I often need ones that aren't in the stock set, but I think that depends a lot on your community.

Also, hi, has been a long time!

Reply #12

I love using smiley's so I would be all for maybe a bulk uploader for different sets but emoji's could create more problems than what they are worth.