Skip to main content
Topic: Permission to view signatures (Read 3630 times) previous topic - next topic

Permission to view signatures

What do you think about the idea to add a permission to view members signatures?
I think it's useless to show signatures to guests.
sorry for my bad english

Re: Permission to view signatures

Reply #1

hmm... I'd say more than a permission it could be a setting?
I don't see much the point of allowing to see or not the signature to defined member groups. Am I wrong?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #2

You are right, it's more a setting than a permission. I only want to hide signatures for guests, and not for different membergroups.
sorry for my bad english

Reply #3

and is there member option not to see any signatures on the forum at all ... also could signatures have hyperlinks in the text?

Reply #4

Quote from: omBre – and is there member option not to see any signatures on the forum at all ...
there is an addon for this: http://addons.elkarte.net/enhancement/Member-Website-Signature-Permission.html

Quote from: omBre – also could signatures have hyperlinks in the text?
you can already set which bbcode can be used inside signatures, it's a built-in feature.
sorry for my bad english

Reply #5

@radu81 and @omBre, I think that should be available by default in User > Look & Layout (?action=profile;area=theme).

The said addon, on the other hand, is to deny default permission for website and signature to all membergroups except where any or both permissions have been given.[1]
Of course, an admin can always add website and signature to his profile though.

Reply #6

I don't want to disable or hide signatures for all members, all I need is to hide signatures to guests. There is a mod for this for SMF https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2402 and it's not the only one available for SMF.

=== edit ===
I edited the Load.php file like in that SMF mod and seems to work fine:

Code: (Find) [Select]
	// Set things up to be used before hand.

Code: (Replace) [Select]
	// Hide signature from guest mod
global $user_info;
if ($user_info['is_guest'])
$profile['signature'] = '';

// Set things up to be used before hand.

Anyway would be nice to see this into the core of Elk 1.1  ;)
Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 09:03:45 pm by radu81
sorry for my bad english

Reply #7

My response was for the member option to hide signature which is available by default originally asked by omBre, not to whether disable / hide it from all members. :D

If you ask me, I personally don't find it useful. However, if majority think it is useful, it could be added to the core.[1]

I would also think that the code could be added via modification or integration from Display file instead of Load.php, but I am not so sure whether that will work. @emanuele, @Spuds, @live627 or others may confirm this.[2]
But that is not up to me though. :D
As I am usually uncertain even after I tested it.  O:-)

Reply #8

Please note the above bug in my second footnote.

Reply #9

Not a bug: you have an open tag instead of a close one.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #10

I try to explain why I think is useful such an option,  if you allow images into signatures you will add an useless load to your forum, and it'a way to also improve your seo.

In XF the option to disable signatures to guests is available under the SEO settings, and it has some sense to me:
Show Signatures to Guests
In order to maximise your 'signal to noise' ratio when displaying threads to guests, you may hide your members' signatures.

sorry for my bad english

Reply #12

QuoteI would also think that the code could be added via modification or integration from Display file instead of Load.php
yes, but then that would be limited to thread display.  Might even need more code.

Reply #13

Good thinkin'...