Skip to main content
Topic: smiley order (Read 2757 times) previous topic - next topic

smiley order

In smilies setup using the tab change smiley order,  can drag and drop the smilies in the order I want OK but it doesn't stick.

There appears to be no "save" or "apply" button.
Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 11:51:38 am by brianelk

Re: smiley order

Reply #1

Works fine here locally, when the smiley is moved a blue-ish bar at the top appears saying the new position is saved and reloading the post page the order is the new one.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #2

Def not working. The dragging works but no blue bar or confirmation. I wonder if it is because the smiley set is not called default? I changed that and now I get this when I click and hold a smiley to drag it. But it doesn't work now it flashes and reverts.

u.PNG

Reply #3

Just tested this on my 1.1.4 forum and works fine. There is no confirmation or save button, once you select the smiley you want to move you will see the blue arrows, just click on the arrow where you want want to place your smiley. It is much easier to do than explain it. ;)
Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 02:47:32 am by radu81
sorry for my bad english

Reply #4

Thanks. I got it to work once I realised what the multitude of blue arrows were! As an aside when I was doing minor systems analysis, it was clear that allowing developers and programmers to design software was a path to confusion! :P

Every developer feels that they know better how to design a UI. A classic case was when Adobe developed the fledgling PDF format created by its founder. Everything about it is a mess and totally unlike any standard UI. A dogs dinner of a software in my view. Sorry, rant over.

You say there is a confirmation or save button but is that a typo and you missed out the "no" as I can't see one?

The blue arrow system is the most convulated non-intuitive system for drag and drop I've ever seen. It deserves an award. Why was it allowed? :D  We are most Windows UI orientated users now or maybe android too so why reinvent the wheel? Ooops, ranting again! O:-)  O:-)

Reply #5

Quote from: brianelk – You say there is a confirmation or save button but is that a typo and you missed out the "no" as I can't see one?
That was a typo, I just corrected my previous post. There is no confirmation or save button

Quote from: brianelk – The blue arrow system is the most convulated non-intuitive system for drag and drop I've ever seen. It deserves an award. Why was it allowed? :D  We are most Windows UI orientated users now or maybe android too so why reinvent the wheel? Ooops, ranting again! O:-)  O:-)
I agree, the arrows are not so intuitive, but there is also drag and drop, which I just tested and works fine. (you need to release the smiley over the smiley where you want to place it)
sorry for my bad english

Reply #6

Thanks, I had just woken up and was grumpy. Please ignore my rant!! I have got it to work OK now.

Overall I am pleased with Elkarte. A refreshing take on phpBB forums and I hope it continues to grow. I only found out about it because Sofilicous on my host offered it alongside phpBB etc. It deserves to be better known.

Reply #7

@radu81 instead of "clicking" on the smiley, if you drag&drop it around it doesn't work?

https://imgur.com/a/PDi8GDi (the image  is 11MB xD).
Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 07:24:46 am by emanuele
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #8

Yes if I do it that way it moves them but doesn't remember!

Reply #9

drag and drop also works ;)
Quote from: radu81 – there is also drag and drop, which I just tested and works fine. (you need to release the smiley over the smiley where you want to place it)

== edit  ==
@brianelk what set of smileys is this? I like it ;)
u.PNG
Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 10:56:15 am by radu81
sorry for my bad english

Reply #10

If I try to use drag and drop from the screen where the "blue arrows" are displayed then "drag and drop" does not work. 

The blue arrows were the "old" way of arranging the icons, I think it works w/o JS,.  Once you see the "blue" arrows it means you have selected a specific icon to move and you need to now select the blue arrow where you want it be placed.  That "old" way worked for me.

To use drag and drop you need to start from the initial "Smiley Set Order" screen, click hold the smiley to move and drag it to the new location and drop it ... that worked fine for me.

Probably time to drop the old non JS way of moving the icons to avoid confusion

Reply #11

@radu81 It is one where I laboriously resized and upload myself picking them up from various places. If you tell me how I can make them available I expect.

@Spuds Yes very confusing. But sorted now thanks.

Reply #12

Quote from: Spuds – Probably time to drop the old non JS way of moving the icons to avoid confusion
 emanuele likes how this man thinks.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #13

I'll add that, or should I say remove that,  to the 2.0 line ...

I've made a change to my local so D&D is not active should you click into the old way of doing things (for 1.1) to avoid errors and confusion.