Skip to main content
Topic: What about future? (Read 6570 times) previous topic - next topic

What about future?

The things you guys did with Elk are amazing and i was waiting for these steps since SMF 2.0 was mentioned years ago...
I hope that im not wrong and that you guys are aiming for MVC pattern with full OOP...

Now lets start about simple things like Dynamic navigation, Homepage and custom actions/pages (Yep...im boring...)
I think that these three things need to be implemented into Elk's core...for people who are familiar with PHP these things are piece of cake and we dont even notice it but for many people they are pain in the booty to implement...I always get a questios like how to add or remove tab from navigation, how to add custom page or such...and i get that questions ALLOT
I strongly suggest that and i bet that it will bring attention to allot of people...

Next thing is about permissions...if im not wrong SMF is based only on Group Permissions and if you ask me managing permissions for one board or few users its pain in the booty atm...So my suggestion will be to add ACL and ability to manage permissions for each board,user and group. (Sounds complicated to develop/implement? It is... :D)

Re: What about future?

Reply #1

Quote from: Ice – I hope that im not wrong and that you guys are aiming for MVC pattern with full OOP...
The "final" goal should be something like that, yes.

emanuele is not sure what "dynamic navigation" is... :-[

Quote from: Ice – Homepage and custom actions/pages (Yep...im boring...)
I think that these three things need to be implemented into Elk's core...for people who are familiar with PHP these things are piece of cake and we dont even notice it but for many people they are pain in the booty to implement...I always get a questios like how to add or remove tab from navigation, how to add custom page or such...and i get that questions ALLOT
I strongly suggest that and i bet that it will bring attention to allot of people...
 emanuele +1s about the menu editor. O:-)

Quote from: Ice – Next thing is about permissions...if im not wrong SMF is based only on Group Permissions and if you ask me managing permissions for one board or few users its pain in the booty atm...So my suggestion will be to add ACL and ability to manage permissions for each board,user and group. (Sounds complicated to develop/implement? It is... :D)
I have some ideas (still only ideas thrown around somewhere on the forum like here and here for example) about how permissions should handle themselves (at least on the surface).
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Re: What about future?

Reply #2

emanuele is not sure what "dynamic navigation" is... :-[
[/quote]
You later called it "Menu editor" (same thing...)

About ACL, like you said in some post/topic its not about backend but a frontend and i think managing Groups and Single User would be a good start (Its complicated system so why not take it step by step?)