Skip to main content
Topic: No title on like button (Read 8719 times) previous topic - next topic

No title on like button

Eh, why doesn't the like button have a title? That star isn't really intuitive. The title attribute is just "title" (empty).

Re: No title on like button

Reply #1

You mean the hover title?
Or the lack of "Like text" after the icon?

I don't recall all the thoughts on why the text after the button was removed, I think it was during one of our minimalist phases and several designs were tried.  And it could just be a mistake as well!

After a post is liked, it will show the Star icon and then X Likes as the text after the icon.  It will also, when you hover, show the names of who liked the post.  If you liked the post the little + on the icon becomes a - on the star icon as well. 

When there are no likes we could add in the text Like after it, as well as for the hover text.  I'll do whatever the likers want :D

Reply #2

Quote from: Spuds – When there are no likes we could add in the text Like after it, as well as for the hover text.  I'll do whatever the likers want :D
Pay attention to what you write. :P
Well, for consistency I think it make sense to have the text in it... or remove it from everywhere, but I think this may be a bit confusing...
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #3

I mean the title attribute. I don't care so much about the text in there so long as I can figure it out with a mouseover. Though, "Like" or something might be helpful to many people.

Reply #4

Ummm, just dropping by, anyone in mood of ajaxifying the likes functionality?

Joker™ Raises his hand

Reply #5

Woot  :D Please do!  it was on the todo list, but its a long list ! 

Some of the other buttons were converted over to ajax, I think they use the ;api option, @emanuele can give more details of how that works.

Reply #6

At the moment I have mixed feeling about that api thing TBH...
I'm not sure if it is worth the hassle or not. :(
I thought it was, but then I realised it's also a "good" duplication of the xml stuff, I'm not sure I have the "whole" overview Norv had about it.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #7

Quote from: Joker™ – Ummm, just dropping by, anyone in mood of ajaxifying the likes functionality?

Joker™ Raises his hand

Yes, please do!! :D
Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion, you must set yourself on fire!

Reply #8

Started working on likes :D

Reply #9

Back :D

Lol, while converting the code I came across this text, and TBH it's one of the hilarious one I found so far

QuoteLiking your own posts ... its like laughing at your own jokes when there is no one else around  ... lol ... Wait did I just lol myself?

Tell me I can put this on facebook?

Reply #10

Another update on this

- In terms of liking/unliking posts in topic this complete
- JS simply makes a call to PHP and all text, like counts etc info is transferred via PHP, to make text stings editable
- Also made something which I've currently termed as floating error box. It is somewhat similar to other pane's I've created for few of my SMF mods, where user can hide the box by clicking anywhere or pressing the escape key.

For more info jump here.
Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 12:29:42 pm by Joker™

Reply #11

An issue somewhat related to this; currently it's not easy to see the difference between liked posts and posts with no likes. I mean it looks the same as "xx Likes" (on another note, it might be better to have it all lowercase there) and "Like Post". I don't have any ideas as how it could be made any better but just saying.