Skip to main content
Topic: More profile permissions (Read 2198 times) previous topic - next topic

More profile permissions

I'd like to see more profile permissions, namely to restrict Guests from viewing individual profile fields. Seeing profile summaries and stats is fine, but some boards may want to restrict guests from seeing a user's gender, age, website, and custom profile fields. This probably would do best as a setting under individual profile fields via the admin Features menu, and not the Permissions menu.

Re: More profile permissions

Reply #1

Disagree. What's important as a guest before registering is: How active is the board? What are the topics discussed there? How's the niveau in the discussions? How many users are there and how many are often online?

I don't need to allow guest to see detailed statistics of the registered users or loook to a profile that's empty (when all profile informations are restricted anyhow).  ;)  For me allow or disallow guests to see profiles is good enough.

Reply #2

+1 for privacy :)

Reply #3

Quote from: Jorin – Disagree. What's important as a guest before registering is: How active is the board? What are the topics discussed there? How's the niveau in the discussions? How many users are there and how many are often online?

I don't need to allow guest to see detailed statistics of the registered users or loook to a profile that's empty (when all profile informations are restricted anyhow).  ;)  For me allow or disallow guests to see profiles is good enough.

I can't see how this conflicts with your needs. This shouldn't interfere with the ability to disallow guests from seeing user profiles. Merely help those who want to let guests see user profiles, but want to retain information like contact info, personal details and so forth, private from guests and search engines.

It's really search engines and spiders I'm concerned about here, but we can't possibly create a robots.txt to curb all of them. So they get labeled as a Guest. And then we need measures like this to keep private information out of the search engines.