Skip to main content
Topic: No quote button in last post? (Read 7670 times) previous topic - next topic

No quote button in last post?

Possible feature. Arguably better as a mod, but honesly I've found it very handy. The problem is that if the quote button is echoed in the last post of a topic, a lot of users will just mindlessly use it rather than just replying without quoting (which is often perfectly adequate). This results in a lot of clutter, particularly when idiots insist on brainlessly quoting an entire article just to say "Yeah", but even with more normal posts it saves a lot of mess.

If you don't echo the quote button in the last post, they just reply. It's a hell of a lot cleaner. I've tried it for several years of live use. It works. Nothing else works.

Food for thought? Admin-selectable option perhaps?

ETA: Of course, the full reply page still offers quoting for the odd cases where you definitely want to quote the last post so you can split it down for discussion.
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Re: No quote button in last post?

Reply #1

Interesting.
I think I'd like it.
It may even be enough to put it into the "more", I feel not many people would use it.

And we'd have to hide also the "quote to new topic" (or whatever is called... it doesn't show now...Spuds, did you disable the function or it is a bug?... or I added the enable/disable option recently...don't remember) into the "more...".
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #2

Ummm, no. Hiding it in the "More" droppy would be a bad idea IMO, for two reasons. First, it's more code bloat. Second, it's shuffling the position of interface components, which is generally a bad idea.

And no, you would not want to hide the QTNT button since that is completely different functionality.

Reply #3

How many would realise they are two different features after having posted the message? :P

Anyway I was proposing to "hide" the QTNT always, not only on the last message just because it doesn't seem one of those things you use frequently. But of course it's just a proposal. ;)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #4

Hey, good way to teach them how the interface works. How many would realise until after posting anyway? Serious question BTW. :)

And personally I don't think it needs hiding. The idea (IMO) is to make it easy and obvious to split a discussion whenever it suits.

Reply #5

lol
Good point! :D
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #6

I use quote on the last post regularly to break down and highlight sections.