Skip to main content
Topic: ElkArte 1.1.9 - Possible to change the number of posts in account settings? (Read 834 times) previous topic - next topic

ElkArte 1.1.9 - Possible to change the number of posts in account settings?

Hi!

I just noticed this on test forum:

It is possible there to change the number of posts in account settings. :shocked:
I tried it. It is working and the new number of posts is displayed on forum.
It is the same in each language.

account settings number of posts.jpg

number of posts.jpg

Some members would love this feature. :cheesy:  But I think, this is not intended?

Re: ElkArte 1.1.9 - Possible to change the number of posts in account settings?

Reply #1

As far as I know only administrators can modify the post number and there is no permission that can be assigned to members to edit the post count.
To be honest I don't see a valid reason to do this, can I ask you why you need this?
sorry for my bad english

Reply #2

I don't need it, Radu. I saw it on test forum and was surprised by this feature.

I did not know, that only admins could change the number of posts, because on test forum I have no member account yet for testing, what a member could do.

So all fine then.  :smiley:

Reply #3

If you use different set of permissions based on post count, that can be a problem, that's why I think it is not recommended to have such a feature for normal users.
sorry for my bad english

Reply #4

Yes...that's why I was very surprised.

But i did not see this feature for selecting it in the permissions of member groups, so i should have realized, that this feature is only for admins.

This feature could be useful on my forum, because the posts there are no more proper counted from the beginning. Counting started new after the migration to ElkArte. So the posts of the first 10 years had not been added in the stats yet.

Reply #5

Quote from: Ruth – This feature could be useful on my forum, because the posts there are no more proper counted from the beginning. Counting started new after the migration to ElkArte. So the posts of the first 10 years had not been added in the stats yet.

Have you tried recounting?

Admin -> Maintenance -> Forum Maintenance -> Recount all forum totals and statistics -> Run task now

That should reset the post counts. Sometimes it gets messed up when converting.

While there, hit the Run task now for: Find and repair any errors

Reply #6

Yes, this was done a few times.

Reply #7

I checked this feature now:

It can get activated or deactivated in ACP abough the custom profile fields.

If it is active, only admins can change the number of posts of members in their account settings, members dont see this field there.

If this feature is activ, the number of posts will be displayed in profile summary and on member list.
if it is not active, then the number of posts will not be displayed there. (This way we have it on our forum normally)

This means, on our forum I could activate it, change the number of posts of all members to an almost correct amount of posts and then deactivate this feature again. This way we could give our members access to the forum stats in future and they also would not wonder about the like stats, which are telling the number of posts as well.

Thats really great.  :smiley:

Reply #8

Thanks Ruth! I've been waiting for someone to post in this topic again so I could try to reply via email and see if it fails in this topic again..

If it doesn't post again, I think I know what might be causing it. But if it does post, I'll just blame the f'up fairy passing through earlier and forget about it..

[My original reply was speculating that the ability to change the number of member posts was specifically for manually adjusting post counts after migration.]

-Steeley 

Did you exchange, a walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?

[~ Pink Floyd: "Wish You Were Here"]

// Deep inside every dilemma lies a solution that involves explosives //

Reply #9

Quote from: Steeley – Thanks Ruth! I've been waiting for someone to post in this topic again so I could try to reply via email and see if it fails in this topic again..
just a test for @Steeley and sorry @Ruth 
sorry for my bad english