Skip to main content
Topic: Going crazy with passwords (Read 7743 times) previous topic - next topic

Going crazy with passwords

Hi everyone,

I'm personally going crazy with a very basic issue of passwords and account management. I've a a lot of:
- mail accounts
- job portal accounts
- banks
- and a whole lot of fudge nuggets I signed up long ago

Now, I'm not sure that my tiny brain and store all passwords, usernames and email addresses I've used for every site. I've thought of few solutions but not sure about them

- Store details on iCloud
- Make password protected excel sheet and upload it somewhere
- or use some sort of app to save passwords (I really don't like this option)

So how do you guys manage all this as I'd be very happy to hear out some suggestions/advises on the topic.

Re: Going crazy with passwords

Reply #1

My poor brain ran out of room long ago  :P part of my morning routine was to reset passwords that I had forgotten or ones that for some reason the browser had not saved properly or whatever.

Right now I use keypass http://keepass.info/ to store all my passwords, I think there are OSx etc ports, android ports, etc.  There are browser plugins as well so most logins are are one click affair.  It will also generate a random password for you (I've found I have to manually add that to the database or sign back in with it for it to get stored).

Its not a cloud thing, well I guess it could be, the password db file that it creates is portable and secure hashed so you could store that where its always available to you. 
Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 03:10:43 pm by Spuds

Reply #2

Use keypass here too. Love it.
Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion, you must set yourself on fire!

Reply #3

You shouldn't store your passwords anywhere, as it kinda defeats the purpose.

What you should do, is come up with some kind of algorithm for coming up with your passwords. I have done this, and every single site has it's own password, and I can remember them all.

Here are a few key things you can use for coming up with passwords. Minimum Requirements: 2 uppercase letters, 2 special characters, at least 8 characters in length.

1.| First, come up with a word that you like, that should be at least 8 characters, but we'll make an exception in this case: Elkarte
2.| Replace vowels with numbers of your choice, that you can remember: 0lk7rt8
3.| At least 2 letters should be capitalized, while all others are lowercase: 0LK7rt8
4.| Now place special characters of your choice before & after your password: %0LK7rt8*

This is your unique password that would be hard for anyone to guess. If you ever change your password, just change the word, but use the same methods, to make a easy habit memorization of it.

If you want to make a different password for each site, take things an extra step further.

5.| Add the first two, or last two, or first & last letters of the domain name that you are logging into, separated by a special character:
-- elkarte.net password: %0LK7rt8*-el
-- simplemachines.org password: %0LK7rt8*-si
-- wedge.org password: %0LK7rt8*-we
etc....

I use a completely different method, as each person's method should be unique. What I've explained are mere guidelines, so make your own. When you come up with an algorithm it makes it easy to remember, or come up with new passwords. Take your time, think it through. EZPZ...
Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 10:15:17 pm by Xarcell

Reply #4

Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #5

The problem with storing passwords online is that if you get a password sniffer on your PC or Mac and they get the keepass password, your screwed.

Reply #6

I love that comic ... as I was reading the post on how to create a good password, I could not help finding myself thinking of the algorithm that would generate the permutations.

Quote from: Xarcell – The problem with storing passwords online is that if you get a password sniffer on your PC or Mac and they get the keepass password, your screwed.
I agree with that, if you have a password sniffer on your PC you are screwed ... regardless 

Keypass is not cloud based so if I gave that impression my apologies, I was simply saying you could, and there are ways to secure access to items like that as well, at least thats what online banking will have you believe ;)

Reply #7

Quote from: Spuds – Right now I use keypass http://keepass.info/ to store all my passwords, I think there are OSx etc ports, android ports, etc.  There are browser plugins as well so most logins are are one click affair.  It will also generate a random password for you (I've found I have to manually add that to the database or sign back in with it for it to get stored).
Surely going to try it out, thanks for the info.

Quote from: Xarcell – You shouldn't store your passwords anywhere, as it kinda defeats the purpose.

What you should do, is come up with some kind of algorithm for coming up with your passwords. I have done this, and every single site has it's own password, and I can remember them all.
I was also following the same sort of algo, but recent after seeing so many website getting hacked I think even such algo's we follow are also easily breakable. Lol, even with the combination I generate my passwords, it fits prefectly well with my official accounts, primary personal accounts and many other secondary personal accounts. But now I'm tried of storing all this fudge nuggets in my mind.

Quote from: Xarcell – The problem with storing passwords online is that if you get a password sniffer on your PC or Mac and they get the keepass password, your screwed.
Have a nice firewall ;)

Reply #8

I too use keepass. But I am not bold enough to store on Cloud, encrypted or not.

Reply #9

I remember all my passwords lol. Its hard though and sometimes I have to reset them. I write a few down and keep them on me. The really important ones are ones I use a lot so for the most part, I remember them pretty well.

Reply #10

Quote from: Spuds – Right now I use keypass http://keepass.info/ to store all my passwords, I think there are OSx etc ports, android ports, etc.  There are browser plugins as well so most logins are are one click affair.  It will also generate a random password for you (I've found I have to manually add that to the database or sign back in with it for it to get stored).

Its not a cloud thing, well I guess it could be, the password db file that it creates is portable and secure hashed so you could store that where its always available to you.
Me too. On Windows and Android. Works perfect.

Reply #11

Welcome @derived !

I use... well, the "similar passwords" approach: use a base of 3/4 passwords and change some prefix or suffix.
Yeah, not very secure...
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #12

I used Keepass for years, now I use LastPass extension under Chrome.
sorry for my bad english

Reply #14

Well I'm using MacPass on mac, and its working just fine as per my needs.