Skip to main content
Topic: Improved alerts (Read 1889 times) previous topic - next topic

Improved alerts

Just wondering whether it is possible to make alerts a better activity booster by adding alerts when

1. Someone quotes you

2. Someone replies to a thread to which you have replied

Thanks.

Re: Improved alerts

Reply #1

First there is to have a proper "alerts" system in place.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #3

The system is already abused as it is (it was really meant just for one thing and it has been bend to accept others), make it work "properly" is more important at the moment.
1.1 will have a proper system (or at least one that looks like a notification/alerts system) for sure. I was already working on it, though I've been side-tracked by other stuff and now I have to finish that other stuff. lol
When this will be in place, add new notifications will be much easier and anybody will be able to have any kind of notifications they want, though for the time being an addon is the way to go (even though the system is not completely flexible enough to "accept" many kind of notifications).

I also plan to bind notifications to the ignore system, but it's something for the future (1.1).
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #4

Nice to know it is in the books :D

Reply #5

I don't know if all people need "an improved" alert system. On SMF there is a mod for this but is also known being very hungry in hosting resources. There are a lot people that are still using shared hosting (including me)
New features are surely welcome in the core  O:-) , but if will slow the developement of elkarte maybe is better to have them as separate addons or as features that we could activate (as likes, karma or calendar) if those features are adding lots of queries and "stress" our shared host. Just my 2 cents
sorry for my bad english

Reply #6

With "proper" I mean just coded in a way that actually represents an "alerts system" and is easy to expand, not that it has to have a real-time updating of alerts. O:-)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.