Skip to main content
Topic: Cookie Stuffing - how to avoid it. (Read 6417 times) previous topic - next topic - Topic derived from ILA in message previews is (s...

Re: Cookie Stuffing - how to avoid it.

Reply #15

Quote from: hartiberlin – So the admins here should better deactivate this function on Elkarte.net !
No.
If you don't want cookies from 3rd parties, your browser has the excellent feature to block cookies from 3rd parties (and if it doesn't have and you are so concerned about stuffing then you should really use another browser) that is the most efficient way to block unwanted content, even more than GDPR, even more than ask a single website to block something that you'll get from almost any website you visit in a day. ;)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #16

Only bad for the admin if he relies on Affiliate income and some other users steal it via Cookie stuffing...
so I always disable the image tags.. so nobody can cookie stuff the other users...

Reply #17

Well, then you have your answer.
Honestly, rely on cookies for incomes is as reliable as random guess because cookies are for sure not a way to control users (or at least not a reliable one since are client-side).
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #18

Many affiliate Programs on the Internet work this way, especially Amazon und Ebay...
which are widely used...so it can hurt extremely the Admin of a forum, if he needs to make money from the
Affiliate integrations of his forum, when blackhat users set their own Amazon or Ebay cookie this way and steal
the commissions from the Admin of the forum...

So I would advise all forum admins to disable Image Tags...Also you can link then via it to Malware which is then
executed...not too funny...

Reply #19

Has this actually happened to you? I am truly curious. 

Reply #20

Perhaps using an image proxy for all images would fix that as everything would be served from your domain?  Just a thought.

Reply #21

Quote from: Spuds – Perhaps using an image proxy for all images would fix that as everything would be served from your domain?  Just a thought.

which is already included into Image Cache add-on, there is an option: Cache all [img]'s, not just ones needed for HTTPS sites.
sorry for my bad english