Skip to main content
Topic: Changing colors the simple way? (Read 1521 times) previous topic - next topic

Changing colors the simple way?

Hi,

I want to open my first forum. I know a bit about the "#00000" hex thing to change colors on web pages. How would I use this to change the colors of my forum without installing a whole new theme? Can you maybe screenshot the base forum I would be installing, and circle which colors can be changed by which part of the editor? I'm guessing there will be a list of hex things and this will show me what controls what. Thank you for any help. Also, are forum updates automatic and can I turn them off when I get started? Thanks again :)

Re: Changing colors the simple way?

Reply #1

Hi @VintageBuffy and welcome to elkarte.net.

The easiest way (without creating much) to change the colors is to use a "custom.css".
The basics is:
1) create a file named custom.css,
2) put your custom css styles there,
3) upload it (via ftp or cpanel, or whatever) to the directory themes/default/css/

Regarding what to change, the base ElkArte theme uses something like 70 different colors with several selectors, pinpoint all the alternatives is not that easy. ;)
I think it would be easier to use the inspection tools of your browser to find the colors applied to a certain selector and replace them.
Usually, it's enough to right-click on the piece you want to change and then select "inspect element" (or some similar wording depending on the browser) to see exactly all the properties applied to that element.
Of course, if you have any specific question, feel free to ask! :D
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #2

Thank you @emanuele ! I'll research what a custom.css is and how to use it instead of asking for all the details here. :)
Edit: I meant that I've never heard of a custom.css before and I don't know how to create custom css styles so even with instructions I'm still pretty lost, but instead of asking you a lot of questions I'll research it on my own. I hope that didn't come out wrong earlier...

Will updating my forum in the future undo my changes? And will it be possible for me to turn off automatic updates?
Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 07:15:10 pm by VintageBuffy

Reply #3

Installing "micro" patches should not affect the layout or colors.
Automatic updates are not there (yet), but I suggest to always keep your forum up-to-date because security matters, especially on the web.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #4

Ok. Thanks!