Skip to main content
Topic: Feature Request: Custom Board Icons (Read 6941 times) previous topic - next topic

Feature Request: Custom Board Icons

I would like to see an option to upload to use a board on/off png on a per board basis.

Re: Feature Request: Custom Board Icons

Reply #1

Quote from: Xarcell – I would like to see an option to upload to use a board on/off png on a per board basis.
I believe this would be "overkill" for a rarely used feauture.

The <LI>-Tags on the boardIndex have their own ID, so it's easy to style those via plain CSS and how often do you upload such pics?
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Reply #2

Agreed with TE.

Its one of those things you initially do if you want to mold a already made theme - or default theme- to your own. Those that do, also change other bits of the theme, so it makes more sense to have it as a custom theme option than a core feature. IMHO.

Reply #3

"Problem" is, nowadays people expect to be able to do anything from a browser (most of the admin that modify a theme do it from the admin panel too). So, at some point, I think it may be worth start considering to have a way to upload most, if not any, of the "things" (images, scripts, css, templates, whatever) that could be possible to upload.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #4

Yes - but that implies they also will want some changing methods to play with, meaning you have to write special interfaces to cater for such detailed online editing. SMF already has some editing functions for template/css files..but its a far cry from some of the offerings for WP. Personally, I might write such things for Protendo..but its not something I encourage, I find them very bloated and slowing down everything on the page.

If we are talking uploading a new css or a new image - sure. It means the user already knows their stuff - they just don't want to start their ftp program up...

Reply #5

Noisen.com has had custom per board icons since 2007 (not Wedge though), but still requires uploading them by ftp. I just couldn't care... and, I think that people who are serious about customizing are going to be okay with ftp, because they already used it to install their forum to begin with.

Ease of use usually means less power in the hood. Less power means less life in the end. Just my 2 cents.

Reply #6

I don't see the need for an admin upload interface either. I'd much rather in the admin point to my on/off files on a board per board basis. Thus, overriding the default...

Reply #7

Quote from: Nao – Ease of use usually means less power in the hood. Less power means less life in the end. Just my 2 cents.
It all depends.
Things can be easy to use for those that are not interested in learn how to use them and powerful for those that are willing to look behind the curtains.
Of course that's my theory at the moment, time will tell if/how/what. :P
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.