Skip to main content
Topic: Like buttony (Read 9660 times) previous topic - next topic

Like buttony

A quick thought for the icon of the 'Like' buttony-gizmo:
https://cdnjs.cloudflare.com/ajax/libs/twitter-bootstrap/2.3.2/img/glyphicons-halflings.png
The thumbs-up icon looks very fine and understandable (used it elsewhere) and it doesn't strike the eye with red hearts and other stuffs.

Thoughts? Sorry for the fast post.
The best moment for testing your PR is right after you merge it. Can't miss with that one.

Re: Like buttony

Reply #2

I think I agree... Interesting. CC-BY is an okay license (as far as the license goes), but if the project insists on a particular place, and every visible page, then we'd better not.

Hmm, I don't have time atm, but I will check if CC-BY is understood somewhere else to require visible display on every page using the graphic. I don't think I saw this case before. The link in credits, as we have for others third-party design, is commonly accepted as attribution. (I see the humanly-readable "deed" for CC-BY states "in the manner specified by the author" though, indeed.)
The best moment for testing your PR is right after you merge it. Can't miss with that one.

Reply #3

I always thought the use of the thumbs up was funny because of ....  O:-)

Quote"Thumbs up" traditionally translates as the foulest of gesticular insults in some Middle Eastern countries — the most straightforward interpretation is "Up yours, pal!".[7] The sign has a similarly pejorative meaning in parts of West Africa, South America, Iran, and Sardinia, according to Roger E. Axtell's book Gestures: The Do's and Taboos of Body Language Around the World."[7]

In Iran, it is traditionally an obscene gesture, equivalent to the use of the middle finger in the Western world.

Here are some icons from the sets we already use / credit (not sure where the folder one finally came from or if we are crediting the entire set or ...) ... anyway seems like any of these could work

Reply #4

Starz are nice! :D (But maybe just because I'm used to see them at github lol)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #5

Why don't we use a font instead of png?

Reply #6

Quote from: Spuds – I always thought the use of the thumbs up was funny because of ....  O:-)

Quote"Thumbs up" traditionally translates as the foulest of gesticular insults in some Middle Eastern countries — the most straightforward interpretation is "Up yours, pal!".[7] The sign has a similarly pejorative meaning in parts of West Africa, South America, Iran, and Sardinia, according to Roger E. Axtell's book Gestures: The Do's and Taboos of Body Language Around the World."[7]

In Iran, it is traditionally an obscene gesture, equivalent to the use of the middle finger in the Western world.
Yup. Already knew that, and thought it was a good reason for avoiding a thumbs up icon.

QuoteHere are some icons from the sets we already use / credit (not sure where the folder one finally came from or if we are crediting the entire set or ...) ... anyway seems like any of these could work
TBH I'd just go with a heart icon. It's easy to understand, and there's precedent for it being used for likes.
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #7

Thumbs-up, heart, +1, "like" (simple text), star, all have precedents in other software for the "Good post" button.

I find the heart thingie kinda kindergardenish tbh. If we go incorporate changes that come closer to the social networking habits of people nowadays (and we do, where appropriate), it doesn't follow, to me, that we have to do it as if it was for popularity only. Because it's not: offering people an easy way to express their 'ok' on the content of a post is a simple feature, should be easy to use, and just say your 'ok' instantly and move on; without being too eye-catching, without changing position btw, without looking it up.

That is, the buttony from the droppy should be in the same place with the "how many" display. Change instantly count display. Done.
Visible all the way, but not more visible than the content, to put it this way. G+ iirc does things this way: it displays +1 and the count, a differently-colored +1 if you have +1ed it, and at hover, it shows you '-1' if you have +1ed it. We might want something more fancy than that, perhaps, but lets remember that it needs to not distract from the post.

Reply #8

https://github.com/elkarte/Elkarte/pull/727

Thanks, SpudsMan! This does pretty much all these improvements: it's streamlined, 'just click and move on', which is perfect, the expected behavior of them likes. And it ain't no red heart, a bit on which Spuds haz my deep thanks.  O:-)

Reply #9

Had a bit more of thinking about this, and some related buttony bitz.

https://github.com/elkarte/Elkarte/issues/742
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #10

Why not what Spuds did for the like and drop the texts?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #11

Which texts do you mean?

ETA: on a side note, around this topic. I played around removing the " likes" string ($txt['likes']) from the display, leaving only the star image. It's an even simpler look and you still get what's all about. You can hover for a short explanation, otherwise icon alone (with a number).
Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 09:17:32 am by TestMonkey

Reply #12

"Quote", "Quick edit", "Remove", etc.
Just like the "like" that doesn't have a text, but only the star.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #13

When is the next update for the site to implement all the small changes that have been put in? I feel like reporting a lot of annoyances. lol But I'm sure that most already have, and want to make sure they are in the next update before I start whining. :D
Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion, you must set yourself on fire!

Reply #14

Doing that. Basically asap, sorry for the unintended delay these days.