Skip to main content
Topic: Migration of Puppenstubenforum.de (Read 8581 times) previous topic - next topic

Migration of Puppenstubenforum.de

I started to work with the migration of Puppenstubenforum.de, a board of a SMF member I know for quite a long time. The board was tried to migrate to ElkArte a few months ago, but it didn't work. As far as I know the problem were too many and damaged attachments, problems with the language files (it seems the conversion from ISO to UTF-8 was going wrong) an some problems with the theme. It seems that with the first attempt to migrate (which I haven't done) the source board was messed up a bit.

I started to build a test scenario. I installed SMF and ElkArte test versions and made a backup of the source board. I installed it with the test SMF and everything seems to be okay. I then started OpenImporter. Twice for now.

It seems that all posts and messages are there. But:

- The categories are missing. All boards are under the general category.
- Info center counts all members, but in the admin panel and the memberlist are no users counted. Wrong, sorry. Memberlist is there.
- There are no membergroups. None.
- It seems polls are not migrated too.
- There are no permissions migrated.
- No smileys are migrated.

It's a real mess. I don't know why. I used the OpenImporter from here:
http://www.elkarte.net/community/index.php?topic=2118.0

Any suggestions? Should I try to import step by step, first the messages, then the users, etc? Is it even possible to do this?

Re: Migration of Puppenstubenforum.de

Reply #1

Most likely I broke something more than usual.
Did you try the two maintenance tasks "recount" and "fix"?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #2

Jep, I did. I did them with the SMF copy before migration, to be sure there are no errors found. I did the maintenance with the migrated board too then, after the migration. There were a lot of cache errors fixed.

But still, no categories, no membergroups, no permissions.

Reply #3

Quote from: Jorin – - The categories are missing. All boards are under the general category.

I had the same problem with that importer.

Quote from: radu81 –
Quote from: radu81 – There is another issue: the category boards were not imported, I have all my boards into one category named "General Category"
is there any new version of open importer? I tried the version from page 12 of this topic but category boards were not imported

edit
I just tried this https://github.com/OpenImporter/openimporter
and seems that the went fine ;)
sorry for my bad english

Reply #4

Thanks for the hint. I will try these version of the importer.

Please, can we write a fixed topic where the actual version of the importer can be found? It's really difficult at the moment.  ::)

Reply #5

@radu81
Quoteedit
I just tried this https://github.com/OpenImporter/openimporter
and seems that the went fine
Which Branche did you take?
master or development
Regards Stephan

Reply #6

I don't remember, sorry
sorry for my bad english

Reply #7

I did a second try with the master branch posted above, but with the same result:

Quote from: Jorin – It seems that all posts and messages are there. But:

- The categories are missing. All boards are under the general category.
- Info center counts all members, but in the admin panel and the memberlist are no users counted. Wrong, sorry. Memberlist is there.
- There are no membergroups. None.
- It seems polls are not migrated too.
- There are no permissions migrated.
- No smileys are migrated.

I don't know what to do now.

Reply #8

I'll have a look at the importer, but likely not before B1 is out...
I'm really sorry, but until the next year I'm a tad on the busy side and I have to focus on one thing at a time. :(
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #9

We will try to migrate step for step, beginning with users. In a second step topics and posts, and so on. Do you see a problem with that? Migrating not full, but in little steps? Will it even work?

Reply #10

Was the Puppenstuben-Forum migrated from another platform (phpbb, myBB..) to SMF? Maybe there's something strange within the database?
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Reply #11

There was an attempt to migrate before which leaded to some problems with the board. I don't know why but it seems this attempt to migrate  (without success) corrupted the source board.  :-X  It wasn't me who tried it. There is some strange behavior with the SMF, which was upgraded from the 1.x.x branch to 2.0.11.

Reply #12

Can you send me an exported database? I think this is a fixable problem..
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Reply #14

PM sent..
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------