Skip to main content
Topic: hide "Logged" from guests / search bots (Read 5515 times) previous topic - next topic

hide "Logged" from guests / search bots

I've checked the most common Content-Keywords from my google webmaster account and the top word is "gespeichert"  ;D  ;D
It's the german translation for "logged" which is part of display template, specifically the ip address..

I feel we should hide that information for guests and search bots, especially because it has no relevance for them..
edit: maybe we should hide the whole poster div for guests / bots?
Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 03:48:24 am by TE
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Re: hide "Logged" from guests / search bots

Reply #2

no, just that information inside the dropdown (member group, post count...)
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Reply #3

Why is this in "exterminated"? :P

I feel there should be a lot hidden to guests:
maybe karma
signatures (this is a highly repeated text that makes posts disappear in most of the cases)
multiple subjects (I'm starting feel like subjects to each post should be added via js instead of having it in-line)
the subject from the linktree (probably this should disappear for everybody)

In other words, anything that reduces the importance of the body of the post (that is the important content anyway).

O:-)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #4

uups, moved ;)
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Reply #5

Quote from: TE – no, just that information inside the dropdown (member group, post count...)

Puh!

Quote from: emanuele – I feel there should be a lot hidden to guests:
In other words, anything that reduces the importance of the body of the post (that is the important content anyway).

Oh, do logged in users need the multiple subjects? Or the information that they are logged in on every post? No... I can think of a very reduced theme... But you know... I can't code it.  O:-)

What a post need is:

- Author
- Date and time the post is made
- Signature
- And all the buttons for the actions.

Anything more?

Too much off topic?  :-[  ;)

Reply #6

Jorin they are talking about what is being indexed by Google or whatever, not sure you got it >.<
~ SimplePortal Support Team ~

Reply #7

Oh, I got it, thanks.  ;)  Okay, will be quiet now.  :-X

Reply #8

I was going to open a similar topic, I also have:
- "connesso" which is lgged in
- "provincia" which is a custom field I show under "Logged in"
- topic
- n°18 one member, the most active

Reply #9

Logged is pointless but I can see a lot of forums where guest access is allowed and things like gender are useful. We can use microdata/RDF to tell Google and good search engines what certain data means. I committed some stuff that started on that but it needs to be expanded. I don't think we should hide signatures but there has to be a way to lower their relevance.

If we define what the main article and the comments to that article are with HTML or microdata, the search engines should pick up on that. So, I don't think the answer is actually lowering the relevance of ancillary text, but increasing the relevance of the body.

Author specific stuff: https://schema.org/Person

StackExchange question: http://webmasters.stackexchange.com/questions/16390/preventing-robots-from-crawling-specific-part-of-a-page
Hiding with JS: http://www.theseonewsblog.com/3383/google-hidden-text/#axzz3zHuXidv4

Reply #10

Quote from: Jorin – Oh, do logged in users need the multiple subjects?
I tend to think so, at least for my browsing scenario: when I open a board, I click on the "new" icon of any unread topic opening a new tab for each one of them, so I end up with maybe 5/10 tabs pointing to things like:
http://www.elkarte.net/community/index.php?topic=3274.msg23190#msg23190
without the subject next to the message I would have to go back to the top of the page, read the subject and go back down (true is the subject is also the title of the page, so it should be in the windows top bar).
So it's not useless. Not terribly useful but due to the fact I'm used to have it there I'd have to change my browsing habit :P

Quote from: Jorin – Or the information that they are logged in on every post?
That one which part is it? (Genuine question, I'm not sure ;))
The IP?

To me that's useless as well, but I'm kind of particular. :P

Quote from: Flavio93Zena (#OpIsis) – Jorin they are talking about what is being indexed by Google or whatever, not sure you got it >.<
That's a bit rude to be honest. I'm pretty sure you are saying it with good intentions, but the feedback people get from this sentence is very negative, something like "hey dude are you dumb?". ;)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #11

IP adress: Sorry, I was back at SMF where this was part of every post and shown at the right bottom of the post. ElkArte shows the IP at the poster info window, that's a bit better, because it is hidden most of the time. This information can be useful for the admin, but for normal users and guests/search engines? I don't know, is there a benefit?

But I am a newbie with this kind of things. I will only listen from now on.  O:-)

Reply #12

Quote from: Joshua Dickerson – We can use microdata/RDF to tell Google and good search engines what certain data means. I committed some stuff that started on that but it needs to be expanded. I don't think we should hide signatures but there has to be a way to lower their relevance.

If we define what the main article and the comments to that article are with HTML or microdata, the search engines should pick up on that. So, I don't think the answer is actually lowering the relevance of ancillary text, but increasing the relevance of the body.

Author specific stuff: https://schema.org/Person
yep, absolutely worth adding microdata tags... modified the display template from this site to do a quick test. and used https://developers.google.com/structured-data/testing-tool/ for testing.
Seems to be very useful at all.
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Reply #13

On a general note, it's funny how google is supposed not to consider that much data that are hidden, but in that case are the most prominent. lol
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #14

Quote from: emanuele – That's a bit rude to be honest. I'm pretty sure you are saying it with good intentions, but the feedback people get from this sentence is very negative, something like "hey dude are you dumb?". ;)
Meh. I just noticed that from what he said he probably misunderstood what you were up to, and just told him, there was no hidden meaning, no flames, no insults, no bad words, no "angry" tone, nothing similar (I actually like Jorin, he's fun, lol). I cannot see a way someone can possibly get offended by that, really. I misunderstood stuff several times and when I got told I never got offended... Usually had a good laugh instead ;D
On top of that, given what I am going through right now in real life, if I had to care about choosing even more careful words than the ones I used because people can get offended by a totally peaceful sentence... Then I'd rather stop posting entirely, you know the old saying... "Feel free to be offended" ;)
~ SimplePortal Support Team ~