Skip to main content
Topic: Is it possible to restore a deleted topic? (Read 1481 times) previous topic - next topic

Is it possible to restore a deleted topic?

I have daily backup.

A moderator accidentally deleted a topic, that I would like to restore if possible, but the board has moved on so I can't restore to a backup.  is there a way of just restoring the topic, and if so, how?

Thanks.

Re: Is it possible to restore a deleted topic?

Reply #1

hmm... I suppose you didn't set up a recycle board, right?
That's a bit tricky. Even if you have a backup, doing it from the backup is not easy matter, it would be much easier to import the backup to a database and re-export only what is related to the specific topic. But is basically some manual work executing a set of queries (that at the moment I can't give you).
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #2

Fair enough...until one of my members mentioned it, I didn't know anything about a recycle board....how does one do that (for the future)? - forget that, checked the documentation and found it.

I'd be interested to have a crack at it manually.......I can always backup before, and restore to that...so it's not a worry if I mess it up...but I would if possible like to recover the topic. If not, then I learn from the mistake.

Thank you for your prompt reply. I'll be patient, obviously it's not your priority.
Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 07:58:59 am by tetricky

Reply #3

I'm really sorry, I completely miss the reply... :(
Pre-christmas has been a bit busy both at work and at home.

On the subject, the theory could be (I'm from the phone, so I cannot give you perfect instructions, if you are still interested I'll figure out the details later):
# upload the backup on a different db (local could be easier)
# exctract the data regarding the topic and messages from the tables messages, topis, and some log_* (not sure which ones are relevant right now)
# insert them in the live db
# run both repair and recount tasks
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.