Skip to main content
Topic: SMF 2.0.15 to Elkarte conversion (Read 14770 times) previous topic - next topic

SMF 2.0.15 to Elkarte conversion

Hello,

I am looking to convert SMF to Elkarte. I am not a coder and never done this before, so can someone help me out here. A step by step guide will be helpful.

Thanks,

Re: SMF 2.0.15 to Elkarte conversion

Reply #3

ok. turned off maintenance mod and replaced latest file of elkarte and made an upgrade but many things and icons are distorted. Any advice how can i fix it?

link:
https://edutainmentforum.com/forum/index.php

Reply #4

Clean your browser cache. :)
Apparently, considering also @Ruth report in his topic, I feel there is a bug somewhere... :-\
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #5

Quote from: emanuele – Clean your browser cache. :)
Apparently, considering also @Ruth report in his topic, I feel there is a bug somewhere... :-\
thanks alot. it worked. Now how to remove smf files?

Reply #6

Quote from: jack001 –
Quote from: emanuele – Clean your browser cache. :)
thanks alot. it worked. Now how to remove smf files?
I mean do I have to delete from database as well or just files from server?

Reply #7

I suggest you to keep both of your forums for a few days and play with elkarte just to be sure that everything is imported and works fine. When you are sure do another migration from scratch and go online. Keep a copy of your smf files and SMF database.

To remove the SMF forum just delete all files using an ftp client, then delete all the tables from database with prefix smf_ . Then move your elkarte files in the same path where you have SMF. Edit the settings.php file and set the new paths, then run repair_settings.php for elkarte.
sorry for my bad english

Reply #8

Quote from: radu81 – I suggest you to keep both of your forums for a few days and play with elkarte just to be sure that everything is imported and works fine. When you are sure do another migration from scratch and go online. Keep a copy of your smf files and SMF database.

To remove the SMF forum just delete all files using an ftp client, then delete all the tables from database with prefix smf_ . Then move your elkarte files in the same path where you have SMF. Edit the settings.php file and set the new paths, then run repair_settings.php for elkarte.
Very good idea. Thanks. But right not my smf is not working. So I believe only one forum can run at a time right?

Reply #9

hmm... in theory no, but depends how you have done the conversion, for example if you have renamed the SMF directory to let's say "forum_smf", then the paths are wrong and the URLs as well, and something may not work.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #10

Quote from: emanuele – hmm... in theory no, but depends how you have done the conversion, for example if you have renamed the SMF directory to let's say "forum_smf", then the paths are wrong and the URLs as well, and something may not work.
I've not rename smf directory as it is in public_html. Just added elkarte in forum folder. That's it. But don't know why smf is unable to connect to database. I'll try with repair settings PHP later. Thanks for info.

Reply #11

hmm... okay, the unable to connect I don't know.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #12

Quote from: emanuele – hmm... okay, the unable to connect I don't know.
successfully connected! it is working now :)

Hey is it a way where on posting on smf forum, it automatically posts in elkarte(the one i migrated into)?

Reply #13

Quote from: jack001 – Hey is it a way where on posting on smf forum, it automatically posts in elkarte(the one i migrated into)?
it is not possible
sorry for my bad english

Reply #14

That would require a kind of bridge... and should keep also registrations in-synch.
It may not be terribly difficult, but for sure requires quite a bit of work I think.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.