Skip to main content
Topic: Change of address (Read 2231 times) previous topic - next topic

Change of address

I want to change my domain name. So, I would like to know how can I migrate ElkArte without any data loss, with all the packages, settings, etc. I can mighrate all the files using FTP and the databases too.

Re: Change of address

Reply #1

Do backup of you database and full website backup. Then ask your hosting provider to change the domain name. As to my knowledge, nothing will get affected by the domain change.

Reply #2

Do a full backup,, database and files and upload them to your new server. Edit settings.php then run repair_settings.php
sorry for my bad english

Reply #3

Changing domain is easier as you just have to point the new domain to the old domain forum folder, then upload and run repair_settings.php  in your browser (to change domain name in your database and settings.php file).

Of course as many said above, backup both database and website files first and your forum should be just fine.

Reply #4

@ahrasis @radu81 @Jason

Sorry for the delayed response. I didn't get any email otification.

There's no repair_settings file and so, I'm getting 404 error. I entered the URL: newdomain.tld/forum/repair_settings.php. I did it after copying the databae and all the files. Now, I'm just getting 500 error if I navigate ot index.php and 404 error for repai_settings. Please, help.

Reply #5

Hi,
you have to download the repair_settings.php first and then upload it to the root directory of your forum on the server.
https://tools.elkarte.net/2014/12/repair_settings

P.S.:  Why isn't there already a finished page under the link, instead everybody has to create an own page with the code first?
Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 06:25:40 am by Mrs. Chaos
ElkArte version: 1.1.8 / Theme: BeSocial / PHP 8.0

Reply #6

Thanks a lot to everyone!! It worked!!

Reply #8

Quote from: Mrs. Chaos – P.S.:  Why isn't there already a finished page under the link, instead everybody has to create an own page with the code first?
ehh... yeah, I realized it is a bit of a pain last week.
I usually do from the local repository, so I never really considered the problem.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #9

Don't worry about it.
It was just a mix of a question and a hint. ;)
ElkArte version: 1.1.8 / Theme: BeSocial / PHP 8.0