Skip to main content
Topic: IRC call (Read 20038 times) previous topic - next topic

IRC call

I hereby declare IRC slackers: Spuds, Thorsten, IchBin, Antechinus, Arantor, Bloc, Joker. And everyone else, for good measure[1].

Just joking, btw. But, the point is, we sometimes need real-time contact, and IMHO we can use our quick and simple channel[2], with no permissions required, for small exchanges of ideas. Please don't think this forum does everything - it does not and it is not supposed to (test forum ;)). Sometimes, it will be easier to just throw a question on real-time messengers or exchange an idea.
More importantly, please lets use this channel in preference to one-to-one communication.

[1] I will accentuate for my own reasons: Spuds. :P It's my topic, I am free to have my own reasons, righty?
[2] #elkarte on freenode.
The best moment for testing your PR is right after you merge it. Can't miss with that one.

Re: IRC call

Reply #1

I told you, a bot to cross-post! (from channel to forum, from forum to channel) :P
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #2

Yes I've been a slacker on the channel for the last week or so  O:-) Its been just been of those weeks  .... I should have more than 15min of free time today so I'll try to get on for a bit !

Quote it does not and it is not supposed to (test forum ;)).
Read I don't back it up (much) ;)

Reply #3

If I went on IRC I'd never get anything done.

Reply #4

I never use IRC unless it's a matter of life and death. Literally.
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #5

Until you find a way to style it the way you want? :P
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #6

That would help. Then all they'd have to do is re-write the back end to turn it into a thing that was easy and pleasant to use. Apart from all that, it's perfect.
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #7

Quote from: Arantor – If I went on IRC I'd never get anything done.
Same here.. I've even uninstalled all instant messagers because I hate these damn popups ..
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Reply #8

Quote from: Thorsten Eurich –
Quote from: Arantor – If I went on IRC I'd never get anything done.
Same here.. I've even uninstalled all instant messagers because I hate these damn popups ..

Fully understandable. :)

Me recommends pidgin though, in case you will be interested. No popups and stuff, only a communication medium.
The best moment for testing your PR is right after you merge it. Can't miss with that one.

Reply #9

I used to use Pidgin, but I still found I'd never get anything done, because if I wasn't 'offline', I'd be talking to people...

Reply #10

Quote from: Arantor – I used to use Pidgin, but I still found I'd never get anything done, because if I wasn't 'offline', I'd be talking to people...
I remember the starting out days over at SD, IRC plagued my day.

Reply #11

Just throwing out a question: (a btw, I just remembered -kind of thing)
Do you happen to know if Skype proprietary protocol will work, after MSN stuff, on Pidgin or Adium - meaning on libpurple? That they'll make it open for alternative implementations?

Reply #13

There is a plugin available but I have not tired it yet http://eion.robbmob.com/

This is what Pidgin has to say about the topic http://planet.pidgin.im/

Reply #14

The other thing about using IRC is that while it's great you're recording discussions, I don't exactly feel like I can jump in and add any comments.

For example the latest digests talk about dropping bbcode for a Markdown type construct. I guess in lieu of anywhere else, I'll add them here :P

While that's in principle a good idea, there is a greater issue than backwards compatibility, and it's been sort of touched on - custom code. This might not seem like a big deal but remember that even WordPress has 'shortcodes' which are essentially an analogue of bbcode, and they have a big ol' shiny WYSIWYG editor. I would also note that I always seemed to spend more time wrestling with that than I ever did with bbcode ;)

We talked about phasing out bbcode entirely at one point and relying solely on WYSIWYG but in our case we would drastically miss things like footnotes. Quotes would also be a little challenging if you wanted to link back to the poster. Shame because I'd quite like to do away with bbc parsing in some respects!