Skip to main content
Topic: I'm gonna say something. (Read 3570 times) previous topic - next topic

I'm gonna say something.

I personally think ElkArte is a weird name to call a software. I mean, sure, it is a special form of forum software with SMF-like properties, but with an added Favicon, a more 3D-ish texture, and cooler smileys, I guess. So, which is better? Simple Machines Forum or ElkArte Forum?

Re: I'm gonna say something.

Reply #1

ElkArte is Basque for community if I'm not mistaken, without any silent letters. I sometimes like to read it as a faux French way of writing "elkaar, " which is Dutch for each other. ;)

(or elk = ???, maybe Dutch for each, maybe English for elk, and arte = art)
Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 11:37:43 am by Frenzie

Reply #2

Quote from: Frenzie – ElkArte is Basque for community if I'm not mistaken, without any silent letters. I sometimes like to read it as a faux French way of writing "elkaar, " which is Dutch for each other. ;)

(or elk = ???, maybe Dutch for each, maybe English for elk, and arte = art)

First one is right.

Quote from: Chara from Undertale – I personally think ElkArte is a weird name to call a software. I mean, sure, it is a special form of forum software with SMF-like properties, but with an added Favicon, a more 3D-ish texture, and cooler smileys, I guess. So, which is better? Simple Machines Forum or ElkArte Forum?

ElkArte is based on SMF, the best one is up to you and your needs/likes.

Reply #3

@d3vcho I know the first one is right. Hence "like to" for the second one. ;)

Reply #4

And SMF was based on YaBB SE ... just lineage as projects grow in different ways and directions. 

ElkArte, Phpbb, SMF, Vanilla, Mybb, fluxbb, Wedge,  Fud etc etc etc bla bla bla are all examples of open source free products.  Pick one that meets your needs, they all have their place.

Reply #5

Don't forget about Phorum. One of the classics. (Although who didn't write their own forum as a hobby project back in the day? I did anyway. >_>)

Reply #6

I did...

Reply #7

LOL

Reply #8

Yep. In hindsight, it was one of the many silly little scripts I made on a localhost back when I was ~16. Not nearly as useful as that file  manager I put together in Visual Basic 3 to help me manage my 486 laptop when I was probably 13 or 14. Having a dad who worked in IT meant a ton of nerdy hand me downs. It was awesome!
LiveGallery - Simple gallery addon for ElkArte

Reply #9

Quote from: Frenzie – Don't forget about Phorum. One of the classics. (Although who didn't write their own forum as a hobby project back in the day? I did anyway. >_>)
Quote from: live627 – Yep. In hindsight, it was one of the many silly little scripts I made on a localhost back when I was ~16. Not nearly as useful as that file  manager I put together in Visual Basic 3 to help me manage my 486 laptop when I was probably 13 or 14. Having a dad who worked in IT meant a ton of nerdy hand me downs. It was awesome!
(bumpity bump bump bump) Welp, time to lock this topic.