Re: Php 7.0 Beta

Reply #16

LOL
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #18

Pretty cool really .. bit of a shame that distros are so far behind the curve on this.

Reply #20

And Elk should now be able to work with php7! :D
https://github.com/elkarte/Elkarte/pull/2339
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #21

Cool stuff !  I feel so modern,  so 2016 !

Reply #22

ROFL!
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #24

I'm pretty sure 1.0 will not work on 7.0, so I'd say no. ;)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #25

Wow :O It's barely out and you already made it compatible with it, what the f... O.o
~ SimplePortal Support Team ~

Reply #26

Actually I was trying to make it compatible in the beta period, though I couldn't figure out what was the problem. When I saw the patch from albertlast for SMF I realized it was not really that difficult and I pushed the patch.
So, technically, SMF could have been compatible before Elk if they were to merge the PR before. :P
And I even forgot a piece now that I look more carefully.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #27

Feels like PHP is really trying to shed the old versions faster.  

5.5 is only getting security updates for another 5 months,
5.6 is only actively supported (bug fixes) for another 11 months (but security for almost another 3 years, which works well with LTS OS release schedules)
7.0 will be actively (bug fix) supported until Dec/2017 so < 2 years.

But checking the usage stats ... 77% are still on < 5.5 which are unsupported versions.    In 5 months when 5.5 is "obsolete" that number will be 93% running unsupported (no security or bug fixes) versions.  Such a dilemma.

Reply #28

I think hosts are muchaving more capable today of upgrading than they were in the past. With VMs and containers there's no reason why you can't just ask your host to upgrade you so you can run new software. In the past they would have to move you to a completely different server. So, in general the community will push them to be faster and proactive in upgrades, leading to less people running older versions.

Reply #29

I think the push will be a result of some of the "big" names requiring new version ... if the major blog/cms platforms suddenly required 5.6 to run then it would be everywhere as the uses would demand it or go to a host that has it.

Personally I like to run LTS releases, but that means to upgrade to a version other than what was released on the LTS,  I have to add a 3rd party package maintainer that offers a newer version for the LTS that I'm running.    Sometimes I do that, sometimes not ... I just updated a old 12.04 LTS (5.3) site to 14.04 (5.5) which is still old.  But since I was playing I updated that to 5.6 for kicks, not that it was needed.

Now I can't remember what the min is for 1.1, I think its just 5.3 vs 5.2 or is it 5.4 ???