Skip to main content
Topic: Php 7.0 Beta (Read 12278 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Php 7.0 Beta

Reply #30

Pretty sure it was 5.3.x where x I think was json_encode() or something we need. The next version should definitely be >= 5.5 though.

I think Symfony is 5.5 which means phpBB is and I think XF uses Symfony  (or ZF) so it makes sense on that respect.

I think what we're going to see soon is every distro will only maintain the core of the distro and everything will be 3rd party repos with maybe some aggregate repos for newbies or lazy people.

Reply #31

Code: [Select]
const REQUIRED_PHP_VERSION = '5.3.3';
:P
I guess the micro is most a wild guess though. LOL
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #32

I have the possibility to switch php version with a click and I did it, the forum works well on PHP7. Should I keep this version or should I switch back to 5.6?
sorry for my bad english

Reply #33

In the tests I remember we had to fix some issues with sessions in order to make php 7 happy.
You may try logging in and out to be sure nothing is broken.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #34

I can login and logout correctly, but now a user noticed that mentioning an user is not working. For now I switched back to php 5.6 ;) Once this is solved I'll do other tests
sorry for my bad english

Reply #35

Interesting, off the top of my head I can't say why it would not work.
I'd have to debug it, but first I'd have to have a php 7 environment... that may require some time...
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #36

no hurry and no reason for me to switch now to php 7.0, but I confirm that mentioning was not working on my forum with php 7.0 ( no username was showed once typed @... )
sorry for my bad english

Reply #37

We are almost there! :D
http://w3techs.com/technologies/history_details/pl-php/5/y
Next month we may celebrate php 5.6 usage share surpassing php 5.2!! :D (Hopefully xD)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #38

The problem is that "almost" part ;D
~ SimplePortal Support Team ~

Reply #39

from what I've read most CMS's are moving to support PHP 7, joomla did it with the latest version 3.5, and after it's release a good part of the extensions were also updated to support php 7. Also Grav CMS supports and encourage to use PHP7. Same for XF. I have no idea about wordpress since I don't use it
sorry for my bad english

Reply #40

I say we drop support of php5 ... lets be progressive !

Reply #41

Roflmao  ;D

Reply #42

Well, IIRC Elk already support php 7. :P
At least in 1.1 (even though I'm not entirely sure it works in all conditions, but okay).

I wonder how long it will take for 7 to reach a 10% of install base. LOL

Actually, the link I posted is slightly biased, because it's based on the... first "n" million most "famous" websites, so it's likely those sites work on custom code that is likely to run on a certain version of php and adoption of new releases is not gonna happen overnight. but it's a good indicator. ;D
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #43

Considering 7 breaks quite a number of things, I believe it will take a while  :-\  For now, I'll stay in that 5.6 fraction.

Reply #44

I'd say its going to be a long haul ... but I was very glad to see that Ubuntu LTS 16.04 (April 2016) has 7.0 as the default package.  Getting the LTS distros will help a bunch in quicker adoption.