Skip to main content
Topic: ElkArte german language files (Read 24568 times) previous topic - next topic

ElkArte german language files

I plan to start on translating the ElkArte language files into german (both formal and informal). Any thoughts? Do you want me NOT to start this little project (or to start)? Is anyone already working on it?

FYI: I created the german language files both formal and informal for SMF 2.x a while ago as modification. But because of little differences with the SMF team I only published them at SMFPortal.de.

Re: ElkArte german language files

Reply #1

Hi Jorin,

Do it!
No way I would stop you or anyone else interested! ;D

At the moment we don't have any tool to help in translating, I started a bit of discussion about it here, I was trying to understand how Pootle works, and [SiNaN] proposed the tool he developed for SP. It looks like a wonderful piece of code, it should be possible to adapt it to Elk quite easily! :) (Mention @[SiNaN] is not easy, I have to hack the code somewhere :P)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #2

So there is no tool at the moment which I should use? And no one else working on the german files? In that case I would start the next days and translate the files one by one on till the package is complete.

Reply #3

:D

That reminds me I should start working on the Italian ones... O:-)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #4

If you need help, I'm around, already translating a couple of OS products into German. :)

(In case of this process ever being streamlined, I'd suggest to just use array files.)
-

Reply #5

Any suggestion is welcome!
I don't have many translation experience, and I don't know how I would like to do it, but I also know that if you ask 10 people you'll get 10 different answers. LOL
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #6

phpBB uses arrays.

Code: [Select]
"RANDOM_STRING" => "random string",
"SOME_OTHER" => "here's something different",
// ...

Works.
-

Reply #7

Ah, okay you meant the structure of the file itself! :D

At the moment we are using:
Code: [Select]
$txt['RANDOM_STRING'] = 'random string';
$txt['SOME_OTHER'] = 'here\'s something different';
// ...
Yep, a bit more verbose probably.
Is it so different in terms of approach to the translation?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #8

That's not so different as long as it works.
Now we just need to team up for translating.

Is there even a language file in git?
-

Reply #10

In "themes"? WTF.
-

Reply #11

yep, it's inherited from SMF .. I believe [Unknown] (or whoever placed those files there) put them inside the themes folder because it allows to use different "german" language files in different themes.. It's there since SMF 1.0, maybe even in YaBBSE..
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Reply #12

In case a theme dev speaks different German...?

Now that's weird.
-

Reply #13

mc_group_requests_none
mc_groupr_none_found

^ I see some redundancy here.
-

Reply #14

Maybe you want "Personal Messages" translated to "PM" in one theme (theme with small buttons and not much space for the text) and "Persönliche Mitteilungen" in another theme, because there's enough space for the full text..

But that's only a guess, it was implemented long time ago, years before I joined the SMF dev team  ;)
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------