Skip to main content
Topic: Buttons re-organization (Read 2889 times) previous topic - next topic

Buttons re-organization

Probably something "long term" (e.g. 2.0), but it's something that bothers me quite a bit: all the buttons around in topics.
At the moment each topic may have:
1. a strip at the top and one at the bottom with 6 buttons each,
2. each post has from 2 to... a ton of buttons (as moderator I count 3/4 always visible and 6 in the droppy),
3. other 6 at the bottom for "topic-level" activities (move, lock, delete, etc.) plus other 2 if you have quick moderation on and you select one message.
6 + 3 + 6 + 6 [+ 2] = 21 [23]

Also they are usually not where you need them (at least for me).

TBH at the moment I have no proposals... lol
Just a general rant. :P
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Re: Buttons re-organization

Reply #1

Hm, just an idea: Reduce the line under the post to: "Reply", "Quote", "Quick Edit", "Like" and "More..." ("More" with all the rest as dropdown list). So it's reduced to the buttons you often need.

Reply #2

http://www.elkarte.net/community/index.php?topic=1109.0

You could also move the "remove" link on the message to the edit and then add a button to remove it.

Change the "Send this topic" link to "Share" because that is more like what everyone else uses.

The notifications on a topic are pretty confusing and would seem redundant to the average person. Notify, Mark unread, and Unwatch are all pretty close to doing the same thing. Granted, they do different things, but maybe move those to a "Topic notifications" (come up with better text) modal.

Change the icon for Like Post to a thumbs up which Facebook, Google, and just about everyone uses as the standard for "like" now. The star icon looks like a "add to favorites" link.

Change the quote link to be a drop down which has "Quote as reply" and "Quote as new topic" with the default clicking it without clicking an option is "as reply."

Reply #3

Quote from: groundup – http://www.elkarte.net/community/index.php?topic=1109.0

You could also move the "remove" link on the message to the edit and then add a button to remove it.
Not quite following what you are saying here  :-\
Quote from: groundup –
Change the "Send this topic" link to "Share" because that is more like what everyone else uses.
Sounds better to me as well and so easy to do
The notifications on a topic are pretty confusing and would seem redundant to the average person. Notify, Mark unread, and Unwatch are all pretty close to doing the same thing. Granted, they do different things, but maybe move those to a "Topic notifications" (come up with better text) modal.
There may be some ability to consolidate the buttons some, TBH I'm kind of weary of all these fly outs, drop downs, etc.  And for ones at the page bottom, or that potentially are, you kind of need fly up or down based on page position otherwise its just off the page, etc.  But thats another issue anyway!   If someone is interested they should mock up some examples to see if it works or not
Change the icon for Like Post to a thumbs up which Facebook, Google, and just about everyone uses as the standard for "like" now. The star icon looks like a "add to favorites" link.
I suppose we could, I'm fine with the star but if others feel thats whats needed since thats what everyone else does :P someone can make a PR.  I chose the star as the thumbs up was just another thing I was tired of seeing :P (plus in some cultures its akin to giving them the middle finger), but I'm fine with whatever folks want (although to be clear, I'm not changing it, to many other things I need to do)
Quote from: groundup – Change the quote link to be a drop down which has "Quote as reply" and "Quote as new topic" with the default clicking it without clicking an option is "as reply."
I like just having one dropdown in that area, but again I'm no UI guy.  99% of the time you just want to quote an not have a flyout appear.  So to me leaving under the "more" along with all the other lesser used actions, works.

Reply #4

Instead of having the remove link on the display page, move it to the edit page.

I thought about the extra flyout. I think it just makes it easier to understand. Just make the quote hover time longer.

RE: PRs, yeah, I could, but this week I'm really busy.