Skip to main content
Topic: Browsers support ElkArte 1.0 (Read 6642 times) previous topic - next topic

Browsers support ElkArte 1.0

What is the oldest version of IE we are going to support?

Some context.
In the code I found the following comment:
Code: [Select]
// Note: IE < 8 requires us to set a width on the container, too.

I think we are not going to support IE < 8, so I think it can be removed, right?
It's in the creation of the result bar for polls.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Re: Browsers support ElkArte 1.0

Reply #1

IE8 should be the lowest we support, and I'd expect that to be a bit rough looking in some spots as it lacks a lot of  css support, but it will work.

Reply #2

Quote from: Spuds – IE8 should be the lowest we support, and I'd expect that to be a bit rough looking in some spots as it lacks a lot of  css support, but it will work.
No rounded corners and some other CSS3 thingies but it's still looking nice :)
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Reply #3

IE 8 is tricky because many devices still currently use it such as: Windows XP, Windows 7 Phones, and the Xbox 360 Browser. However, most likely by the end of 2014, there will no longer be any real need to support IE8.

Look at this: http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_explorer.asp

That means that 20% of IE user's are still using IE8. So you have to decide, if you want the forum of the future or not?

If it were me, I say support IE8 now, with the Elkarte 1.0 release. Then by the time 1.1 is released with a responsive theme, there will be no need to support IE8 any longer, and the puzzle falls in together nicely. Since Elkarte isn't current responsive, I don't see why it wouldn't support IE8.

IE8 user's will dramatically drop over the next year because of the release of Xbox One(phasing out 360 IE8 browser), Windows 8 phones(phasing out windows phone 7 IE8 browser), and Windows 8(phasing out windows XP IE8 Browser).

Just my opinion.

Reply #4

Quote from: Xarcell – Since Elkarte isn't current responsive
AFAIK ElkArte's theme is responsive...
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #6

The only thing I recall off the top of my head that we did for ie8 was to add in the html5shim script ... I think most of the other browser specific conditionals have been removed, or at least severely reduced,  I bet there are more Opera tweaks now then there are IE at this point  O:-)  

In 1.1 we can look to reduce those even further which is a goodness

Reply #7

Quote from: Spuds – The only thing I recall off the top of my head that we did for ie8 was to add in the html5shim script ... I think most of the other browser specific conditionals have been removed, or at least severely reduced,  I bet there are more Opera tweaks now then there are IE at this point  O:-)  

In 1.1 we can look to reduce those even further which is a goodness

Is html5shim even necessary?

Yes, especially mini opera. Opera is more of a pain now than IE, but Opera plans to adopt webkit in the future.

Reply #8

Shim is necessary to style html5 new tags in oldIE.

Opera has been WebKit based since version 15. It's now at version 18 official, or 19 alpha... ;)

Reply #9

O_O
Really?

emanuele is still using 12.something...

I should install it somewhere and see if dragonfly is around.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #10

Quote from: Nao – Shim is necessary to style html5 new tags in oldIE.

Opera has been WebKit based since version 15. It's now at version 18 official, or 19 alpha... ;)

That's my point exactly. If your not supporting IE8 or below, why do you need it? OldIE converts HTML5 tags into div's by default anyway. Or am I wrong?

Reply #11

Nope. They're inline tags (eg span) by default, not block tags.

Ema, you should keep up to date :P but OTOH, opera's market share is never going high enough to justify working long on it. I know I did in the presto era, but it seems like a waste of time now that it's abandoned. As for Opera Bljnk, it behaves like Chrome, so no need to test under it for now.