Skip to main content
Topic: Trivial questions (Read 10779 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Trivial questions

Reply #15

Old bump ... again feedback,

This may have been a mistake to remove.  Not that I want to over option us, but seems a lot of folks like to use this way of browsing.  The reasoning is you hit "new" read "up" and then the menu is there to return to "new posts"

Without it its hit "new" read "down" hit the bottom, scroll/nav back to the top to find the menu to return to "new posts" or whatever.

So basically if you are a new post or new reply's user, the lower linktree does not have a way to return you to what you were doing, so you have to do a nav top to continue, which from a usability perspective is not optimal if thats they way you work.

Reply #16

Interesting way of browsing, it certainly is optimized.

Counter proposal: what if we change the lower linktree in a form that "remembers" (browsing history tree?) the latest... 4 pages visited?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #17

nods thought about that as well, just add simple "back" buttons to the bottom linktree or other ... Then looked at the bottom and (on this post)  I have 20 buttons to click and one pull down (after the bottom post before QR) , do I really want to add more?

Reply #18

LOL

The fact some of the buttons should GT*O is an absolute truth, anyway I was more thinking to replace entirely the "below" linktree with that other thing rather than add another button.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #19

Replacing the linktree with a true breadcrumb trail of the last x pages may be cool, I think it could work.  For my usage I simply put back the old option since that was quick for me to do. 

Not sure its a big deal anyway, it just was one of the things that some folks missed, they liked having new at the top  :-X

Reply #20

But any hint is a nice hint and I like to throw out odd ideas! :D
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #21

I'd rather have a linktree than a breadcrumb trail. I can always hit the back button.

Reply #22

I would take both, if the user can change between them as profile option.  ;)

Reply #23

Quote from: Spuds – Not sure its a big deal anyway, it just was one of the things that some folks missed, they liked having new at the top  :-X

Our switch to ElkArte is less than 24 hours old, and users are already complaining.

Reply #24

I would have never thought this option was so used. LOL

I can't package it now, but the changes are these:
https://github.com/elkarte/Elkarte/commit/589b18ffcc59a551eb2f773fb11ab4344417eea5
actually, these are the changes to remove it, so applying them the other way about should work (i.e. "-"/pink: line to add, "+"/green: line to remove)

If you need help, feel free to attach the relevant files here. ;)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #25

Yeah, I reverted that commit , and it seemed to work as intended for topic views. Its obviously broken, but it's a start.
Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 09:52:19 am by nwsw

Reply #26

OK, this is the fix that we used for recent posts at the top (after reverting that prior commit):

Fix for most recent posts at the top