Skip to main content
Topic: [ADDON] Google Member Map (Read 20794 times) previous topic - next topic

[ADDON] Google Member Map

This installs a member map to your website which allows your members to pin their location on a map. It uses Google Maps 3.0 API to generate the map and place the 'Push" pins.  Optionally uses pin clustering when you get to many pins on a map, clusters expand as you zoom in on an area.

Google Member Map V1.0.8

License
This Elkarte addon is released under a MPL V1.1 license, a copy of it with its provisions is included with the package.

Dependencies
The Google JavaScript Maps API V3 to create the map and place pins.  This API is available for any web site that is free to consumers. By enabling and using this addon you will be acknowledging and agreeing to the Google terms of use

JSColor project to select the pin color in the admin interface.  JSColor is by Jan Odvárko and is released under the GNU Lesser General Public License. LGPL differs from GPL by allowing you to use JSColor even in non-(L)GPL applications.

Introduction
This installs a member map to your website which allows your members to pin their location on a map. It uses Google Maps 3.0 API to generate the map and place 'Push" pins.

Google Earth can also make use of the pin data. This mod allows for the exporting of user pin data in to a .kml file for those that want to use Google Earth to see their member locations.  Simply add a network link in Google Earth to point at http://www.example.com/forums/index.php?action=GoogleMap;sa=kml to get the data for Google Earth.  The capability to export .kml files is controlled by the permission to view the map, and keep in mind Google Earth will appear as a guest to your forum.

Features
o Adds a member map button to the main menu under the community dropdown
o Adds a member profile area for users to add their pin to their profile.  This will then appear on the map.
o Ability to search by location when placing their pin
o Adds Profile info bubbles to the map pins
o Ability to cluster pins together to improve map legibility.  Clusters will expand out as you zoom in on them

How to Use
In your admin panel you will need to enable it, which implies your acceptance of Google Maps terms of service.  Choose the settings that best work for your site.  There are many settings so you can fine tune the experience for your users and site.  Next, your members will need to edit their profiles and place a pin on the map to show their location and save their profile. That pin will then display on the main member map page. The admin will also need to set the map permissions so users can view the map as well as place a pin on the map.

Repo / Download
http://addons.elkarte.net/feature/Member-Map.html
Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 11:55:20 am by Spuds

Re: [ADDON] Google Member Map

Reply #1

I am using Spuds's mod Google Member Map on SMF, I did not tryed this addon, but I would like to know if it is possible to import the data from SMF

thnks in advance
sorry for my bad english

Reply #2

I'd have to write a quick import script to grab the data, but its the same db scheme so its doable.

Reply #3

I just installed this addon on a fresh 1.0.1 elkarte, I activate the addon but I don't see any link in my menu. I tried index.php?action=googlemap but I see the index of my forum. Am I missing something? thank you

p.s. no errors in error log
sorry for my bad english

Reply #4

Quote from: radu81 – I just installed this addon on a fresh 1.0.1 elkarte, I activate the addon but I don't see any link in my menu.
I have "Member map" button under Community

Quote from: radu81 – I tried index.php?action=googlemap but I see the index of my forum. Am I missing something? thank you
Don't know if this is bug in action name, but mod is adding ?action=GoogleMap :)

Reply #5

:-[ my fault, I didn't see it under comunity, I expected to find it near Community, and yes the correct link is the one you posted.It's working
Sorry  :-[
sorry for my bad english

Reply #6

Quote from: Spuds – I'd have to write a quick import script to grab the data, but its the same db scheme so its doable.
this would be nice to have for those who use the Smf mod ;)
sorry for my bad english

Reply #7

I had a look inside the tables of database and I sow there are 3 columns added to member table (longitude, latitude and pindate). The same columns are also in smf.

Assuming that both tables are on the same database which will be the sql command to insert the content of those three columns from smf_members to elkarte_members?

Thanks in advance
sorry for my bad english

Reply #8

First you must promise to backup your member tables.  Then assuming you have both databases on your server:

Code: [Select]
UPDATE newforum.elkarte_members
    INNER JOIN oldforum.smf_members
        ON oldforum.smf_members.email_address = newforum.elkarte_members.email_address
SET
newforum.elkarte_members.pindate = oldforum.smf_members.pindate,
newforum.elkarte_members.longitude = oldforum.smf_members.longitude,
newforum.elkarte_members.latitude = oldforum.smf_members.latitude

newforum = database name of the new forum, like elkarte_forum
oldforum = database name of the old forum, like smf_forum
smf_members = table name to copy from, as in old forum db_prefix_members
elkarte_members = table name to copy to, as in new forum db_prefix_members

I joined on email address since you can't depend on the member ID being the same across the two and email address should be unique.

Thats going to take a few seconds to run since its not optimal but should work.

Reply #9

That worked like a charm, thank you very much!

137 users were imported correctly ;)
sorry for my bad english

Reply #10

Great, glad it worked for you :D

Reply #11

in GoogleMap.english.php on second to last row
$txt['whoall_googlemap'] = 'Viewing the <a href="' . $scripturl . '?action=googlemap">Member Map</a>.';
should be
$txt['whoall_googlemap'] = 'Viewing the <a href="' . $scripturl . '?action=GoogleMap">Member Map</a>.';
GoogleMap
 ;)
sorry for my bad english

Reply #12

:D .... thanks will fix !

ETA: done and pushed, thanks again
Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 07:47:34 pm by Spuds

Reply #13

Installed the addon right now, but I am having three small problems:

1. $txt['googleMap_ButtonLocation'] is in language file but not in the settings.

2. The text from $txt['googleMap_DefaultZoom_Info'] is not shown when clicking on the question mark in the settings.

3. Why are there scroll lines? Because of my avatar?

Reply #14

Quote from: Jorin – 3. Why are there scroll lines? Because of my avatar?

I've had the same problem, I don't remember which css file I changed, but try with Chrome inspector/ Firebug to change the size of that box