Re: Javascript & features

Reply #30

Oh, no I forgot it's disabled... lol
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #31

Quote from: IchBin – What's the mention supposed to do? How does it alert me? I don't see options in the profile to change any settings for it. Did I miss anything?
Thats not done yet ... well the profile menu and the count notification, I don't think they are, ... coming soon !

Reply #32

Quote from: TE –
QuoteCould be ... I turned off one of the added headers, lets see it that is the cause, and if so then we can determine what we can do
ok, I can't test right now.. (Currently @ home)  I'll report in a few hours.
@TE did you have a chance to see if the header I turned off helped with that?

Reply #33

ups, yes. I think everything looked fine .. I'm now @ home again and can't test. O:-)
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Reply #34

Thanks ... just wanted to make sure which of the two headers might have caused it, sounds like we got the right one ... now what to do about it :P

Reply #35

Quote from: Spuds – @TE did you have a chance to see if the header I turned off helped with that?
ok, definitely fixed. Tested behind the "bad" proxy  :D
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Reply #36

The mentioning dropdown is quite nice, good call in collecting everything "liking" etc. in one page.

But while "likes" and "mentions" are logical..whats "unlikes"? Do you log if someone likes your post.and then unlike it again...? If so - whats the point in that?

Reply #37

Your avatar looks big...
 emanuele wonders if we broke something while playing around. :P

Yep, "unlikes" are logged too, not sure if relevant or not, so since I was undecided I just added it... O:-)
Remove the thing is pretty easy, so up all of you if you like it or not. :D
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #38

"You may like my post, but don't you dare unlike it. Cuz I'll know!"  ;D  Seriously, feel a bit off that one..

The avatar? Its a gravatar..but doesn't the css limit its size on avatars in Elkarte?

Reply #39

There should be a "like" and "dislike". Dislike covers not liking the post, and reversing a "like". Not unless you want to use "like", "unlike", and "dislike".

Reply #40

Quote from: Bloc – The avatar? Its a gravatar..but doesn't the css limit its size on avatars in Elkarte?
Yep, it was more a question to myself (or to someone that remembers if we did some mistake or if it is supposed to be like that lol).

If I understood correctly (not really into the like thing), at the moment is "like", then you can remove the like.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #41

Xarcell, I am not arguing against dislike. But is the "dislike" a removal of a like(which is of course needed, but should that be logged for the user to check out?)..or a genuine "i am NOT liking this"?

The way I see it: liking a post is a positive thing. Removing it says" ok, I am not liking this so much anymore" but still positive in the sense that my "like" isn't simply not counted anymore. No hard feelings etc. So should I be "punished" for taking away a like, since it will actually show it as a "dislike"? Thats a negative vibe IMHO and not much different from Karma's positive/negative TBH.

Quote from: emanuele –
If I understood correctly (not really into the like thing), at the moment is "like", then you can remove the like.

But the "dislikes" in the menu..what do they show then?

Reply #42

I was just speaking in terms of a better vocabulary.

If I had it my way, you wouldn't be able to undo your like, but you would still be able to "dislike", which is a positive/negative rating system for posts that allow user's to filter valuable/unvaluable content as seen by their peers. YouTube handles it nicely in my opinion, although StackOverflow is great too...

As far as mention being "punished" for having a like removed is something user's poptart about on a daily basis on StackOverflow. Their most common answer (paraphrased) is "We focus on quality of content, not the quality of the user". Which, anyone who's running a website should feel the same way.

You just can't please everybody...

The only solution I see to make more people happy with it would be to never remove the "likes" from the user's total count, but still remove them from the post. Although, is that worth the extra resources I wonder? Not in my opinion...

BTW, the karma system only effects the user, where the likes also effect the content. Huge difference. I much prefer to "like" something when I want to share it socially, and use a voting system for post quality rating.

Reply #43

Quote from: Bloc – The way I see it: liking a post is a positive thing. Removing it says" ok, I am not liking this so much anymore" but still positive in the sense that my "like" isn't simply not counted anymore. No hard feelings etc. So should I be "punished" for taking away a like, since it will actually show it as a "dislike"? Thats a negative vibe IMHO and not much different from Karma's positive/negative TBH.
As I said I'm not much into the like/unlike state of mind, so I'm completely open to suggestions.
I'm probably kind of naive, I just added it because I personally would like to know what is going on with my posts, if someone liked it there may be a reason, if they removed the like there may be another reason, so I was just curious to see this change in state of the post, nothing more, nothing less.
On the other hand, I tend to think that if someone "likes" something, the odds he is going to dislike it at any point in the future are low... Unless who is liking/unliking is mentally unstable. LOL

Quote from: Bloc –
Quote from: emanuele – If I understood correctly (not really into the like thing), at the moment is "like", then you can remove the like.
It's "unlike", that means "remove the like", yes.
As far as I remember there is no dislike.

You should be able to see it in your mentioning area: I just liked and unliked your previous post, so you should have two notifications around.

Again, up to you guys.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #44

Quote from: emanuele –
Quote from: Bloc – The way I see it: liking a post is a positive thing. Removing it says" ok, I am not liking this so much anymore" but still positive in the sense that my "like" isn't simply not counted anymore. No hard feelings etc. So should I be "punished" for taking away a like, since it will actually show it as a "dislike"? Thats a negative vibe IMHO and not much different from Karma's positive/negative TBH.
As I said I'm not much into the like/unlike state of mind, so I'm completely open to suggestions.
I'm probably kind of naive, I just added it because I personally would like to know what is going on with my posts, if someone liked it there may be a reason, if they removed the like there may be another reason, so I was just curious to see this change in state of the post, nothing more, nothing less.
On the other hand, I tend to think that if someone "likes" something, the odds he is going to dislike it at any point in the future are low... Unless who is liking/unliking is mentally unstable. LOL

Quote from: Bloc –
Quote from: emanuele – If I understood correctly (not really into the like thing), at the moment is "like", then you can remove the like.
It's "unlike", that means "remove the like", yes.
As far as I remember there is no dislike.

You should be able to see it in your mentioning area: I just liked and unliked your previous post, so you should have two notifications around.

Again, up to you guys.

I reckon you didn't do it to my post, because I didn't get anything, but that's ok because I've already seen how it works.

Personally, I don't see the reason to have a "mentions" area. There should be an "alerts" area, that show you all likes, dislikes, and messages. One area for everything. This would be great because maybe some plugins can utilize this area as well. Of course, in the alerts area one should be able to filter types of alerts.

It would even be nice to get announcements this way, but probably be too hard on resources to send everyone an alert, but wouldn't be so bad if you just targeted certain membergroups.