Skip to main content
Topic: package manager will not work properly (Read 2069 times) previous topic - next topic

package manager will not work properly

I have webspace at all-inkl.com and had problems with the package manager with SMF and have them with Elk now too. Problem is: when I try to install a package it says the directory or files are not writeable. I have to create a tmp-directory (or temp?) and make it chmod 777 (actually all Elk files and directories have to be 777 otherwise files are not changed when installing an addon), then the package manager works for a short time. This directory is deleted automatically, I don't know when exactly, but it disappears. Plus: He can't upload new files, I have to upload them manually.  ::)

This is so irritating! I have to try to get the manager to work with every addon and update I want to install.

Has anyone an idea how to fix this? Help is really appreciated!

Re: package manager will not work properly

Reply #1

1) The "CHMOD 777" issue is most likely depending on the php variant  installed on that server.. If they are using mod_suphp or mod_fgci, apache will treat the php files with your ftp username which is the normal behaviour. If they're using mod_php all files will run under the systemwide www-data account which requires 777 for file edits.
that's not fixable, IMHO.

2) I remember.. there's a SMF mod http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=724 for fixing that issue, maybe we can port it to Elk?!?
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Reply #2

What TE said, I don't like to run things as 777 but due to the way some servers are setup :( ... the ony choice is 777 or using the FTP interface in the package manager.

RE the temp directory removal.  I don't think there is any reason we could not do that (meaning leave the temp file there but remove all files / directories that were under it).  With all the files gone I don't believe its less secure if the root temp directory remains.

Reply #3

I was thinking the same: why remove it?
Would make sense to have the "temp" dir in the installation package as well? Or maybe is better not because when it is created by the script the owner is set properly and it doesn't need to adjust permissions or something like that?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.