Skip to main content
Topic: 1.1: replace font awesome with Material Design Icons? (Read 3381 times) previous topic - next topic

1.1: replace font awesome with Material Design Icons?

Font Awesome is cool, but It's IMHO their developers are to slow with new icons these days..

I'd personally switch to material design icons.
https://materialdesignicons.com/
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Re: 1.1: replace font awesome with Material Design Icons?

Reply #1

Good thing to do.

Reply #2

What's that? I personally prefer font awesome for the time being.

Reply #3

Only problem I foresee is hard to choose the icon we need from such a big collection.

Reply #4

And some Material Design theme changes? :D

Reply #5

Thats a much better collection of icons for sure ... if we were to do this swap I'd also be inclined to replace most of the UI png icons  with these since we will find replacement ones to use.  I had started to do this with FA some time ago as a test, should be a post about it somewhere.  Either way, the change would be easy, but would mess with some mods since its mdi-xxx vs fa-xxx on the <i> tags.

We also need to (in 1.1) provide an easy way to update to the latest collection, right now we do it as part of maintenance releases but thats awkward at best. 

edit by ema: nobbc'ed the i tag otherwise it was hidden.
Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 04:23:04 am by emanuele

Reply #6

Quote from: Spuds – Thats a much better collection of icons for sure ... if we were to do this swap I'd also be inclined to replace most of the UI png icons  with these since we will find replacement ones to use.  I had started to do this with FA some time ago as a test, should be a post about it somewhere.  Either way, the change would be easy, but would mess with some mods since its mdi-xxx vs fa-xxx on the <i> tags.

We also need to (in 1.1) provide an easy way to update to the latest collection, right now we do it as part of maintenance releases but thats awkward at best. 

Lazy way? Symlink fa-xxx to mdi-xxx.

Probably also the best way to sidestep trouble until you can do it properly.

Edit: wtf, my comments're italicized. It was not italicized. O_o

edit by ema: nobbc'ed the i tag in the quote (see previous post by Spuds).