Skip to main content
Topic: Auto-Lock Topics... (Read 2526 times) previous topic - next topic

Auto-Lock Topics...

I'd like to know the opinion on others, for an idea I had, after watching someone bump a topic on a forum, that last post was 2014.

What about a feature, to auto-lock threads that have had no posts in a set time?
But, in case of boards that is a support type of board, could be disabled on.

Would be more used in general discussion boards, but not in some others.

Re: Auto-Lock Topics...

Reply #1

Ah the old necrobump  ... Right now they get the old warning box about bumping old threads but there is nothing to prevent it.

I think it would be "easy" to check that same warning flag and simply disable posting to that thread unless you are the mod / admin or whatever.  With the quote to new topic they can start up a new thread with ease based on whatever in the old topic caught their interest.

Anyway I can see a use for that control.

Reply #2

And that makes me think it could be of help to addons like "topic solved" disallowing people posting on solved topics, for example.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #3

Nice... I never once thought of that, @emanuele and have to agree it's an excellent idea!
@Spuds has good point, but I need to emphasize, this would need a toggle per board, maybe have it in board settings, for them, as some boards, like support ones, would need to allow posting in some old topics.

Reply #4

Which reminds me  O:-)

I think we need to improve the ability to hook into board options ... specifically the page where you can set things like Count Posts: and Board Theme.  I have not looked at that in a while, but I don't think we allow an easy way to say add "Like Posts" or "Prevent Necrobump" or simple board wide settings. 

Right now I think you have to do it with permissions per group or add a special board permissions that you then assign to member groups.  That works but its not what I would call friendly, IMO

Reply #5

emanuele feels Spuds is right.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #6

Sounds like too much micro-management to me.

The problem I see with auto locking an old thread would have to do with the purpose of the forum. I participate on a forum that caters to remote control hobbies. Remote control hobbies have an unbelievable amount of technology, parts, functions, etc. Often a thread that is 4 or more years old is posted to by someone looking for help on that particular type of technology or model.

In short, they used the Search feature to find the thread and then used the thread to get an answer or to ask for help. Auto locking the thread would in a sense punish them for using the Search feature and then force them to make another thread. I have seen too many times where someone started a new thread and were then chastised for not using search and asking in an existing thread.

Reply #7

Quote from: Lou – Sounds like too much micro-management to me.

The problem I see with auto locking an old thread would have to do with the purpose of the forum. I participate on a forum that caters to remote control hobbies. Remote control hobbies have an unbelievable amount of technology, parts, functions, etc. Often a thread that is 4 or more years old is posted to by someone looking for help on that particular type of technology or model.

In short, they used the Search feature to find the thread and then used the thread to get an answer or to ask for help. Auto locking the thread would in a sense punish them for using the Search feature and then force them to make another thread. I have seen too many times where someone started a new thread and were then chastised for not using search and asking in an existing thread.

That would fall under the "support" thing I mentioned before, where could set it for certain boards to be on or off.
Same thing, just different terms.

My idea, is for a check box for each board, where the admin can check it to turn on the auto-lock for that board. This feature, would run off the set time you have for "old topics" setting.

For boards where need to reply to old topics, you simply do not check the box.

As @Spuds said, the quote to new topic feature could be well used with this, so people end up making new topics for their posts, instead of replying to a dead topic.

Reply #8

Quote from: derived – i like the topic solved idea
as far s old topics
rather than auto lock, how about auto archive

Personally, I don't use archive features.
Even disable using it for emails. With most emails, like Gmail, it moves it, and makes it a pain to find it. Sorry, but not for me.
I'd rather the auto-lock for old topics, where they stay right were they are, just not able to be bumped after certain time, when not needed.