Skip to main content
Topic: Bugz! (Read 6297 times) previous topic - next topic

Bugz!

Just to quick-note.

1/ Ban: try it. :D

2/ Junk yard (recycled thingie): is not set as read after you read it.

3/ Quick mod... but I don't know what atm, perhaps move or some other operation with topics.
The best moment for testing your PR is right after you merge it. Can't miss with that one.

Re: Bugz!

Reply #1

Oh, and the position of the moderator report link, reported by Arantor. No matter how many times I knew it was there, I even couldn't find it when I looked for it!
The best moment for testing your PR is right after you merge it. Can't miss with that one.

Reply #3

Quote from: TestMonkey – Oh, and the position of the moderator report link, reported by Arantor. No matter how many times I knew it was there, I even couldn't find it when I looked for it!
So the "report to moderator" text in the pulldown is to hidden? .... do we want it back in the post or other spot ....  bold with an icon ... not sure what folks would like to see on that one so looking for some suggestions :)

Reply #4

Quote from: Spuds –
Quote from: TestMonkey – Oh, and the position of the moderator report link, reported by Arantor. No matter how many times I knew it was there, I even couldn't find it when I looked for it!
So the "report to moderator" text in the pulldown is to hidden? .... do we want it back in the post or other spot ....  bold with an icon ... not sure what folks would like to see on that one so looking for some suggestions :)

Maybe on the bottom right of each post, next to the "Quote" button would be good.
~((0040 + 0x20) + (0b111 << 1))
"You never said something, for me, to penny mention work a barbecue pit." ~ Gilligan

Reply #5

The link text can be only "Report" or "Report post". Shorter, less space taken, still clear I think.

[off-topic: quick-edit test.]
Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 07:23:50 am by TestMonkey

Reply #6

We went with just 'report' with a snazzy icon, in our case we snuck a little menu in on each post, quote and modify have due prominence but stuff like report/warn/ignore user are in the mini-menu.

Reply #7

Quote from: Arantor – We went with just 'report' with a snazzy icon, in our case we snuck a little menu in on each post, quote and modify have due prominence but stuff like report/warn/ignore user are in the mini-menu.

This sounds like the way to go. Or something similar, so it's not a direct copy.
~((0040 + 0x20) + (0b111 << 1))
"You never said something, for me, to penny mention work a barbecue pit." ~ Gilligan

Reply #9

If you're going to put the report link under the "More" button (I think that is the plan, correct me if I'm wrong) then it would make sense to chuck the other stuff like IP and warning there too.

ETA: Oh and one handy little mod for SMF is having a ban link in the poster info area. Suggest adding that as default for Elk.
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #10

QuoteIf you're going to put the report link under the "More" button (I think that is the plan, correct me if I'm wrong) then it would make sense to chuck the other stuff like IP and warning there too.

We put the warning stuff there too. IP address is under the poster's mini menu but only people who can ban can see that, and in our case, the ban system got... um... overhauled. Any per-member punishments should be done through the warning system for us.

QuoteETA: Oh and one handy little mod for SMF is having a ban link in the poster info area. Suggest adding that as default for Elk.

The problem with that is it promotes trigger-happy admins who are far too ready with the banhammer.

Reply #11

Quote from: Arantor –
QuoteETA: Oh and one handy little mod for SMF is having a ban link in the poster info area. Suggest adding that as default for Elk.

The problem with that is it promotes trigger-happy admins who are far too ready with the banhammer.

Personally I like the idea of making it quicker. It takes a few clicks to even get to the ban page when some spammer hits the forum. Hell I'd even love a one click option where Ajax set a default ban on the username without me even having to refresh or changes pages.
Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion, you must set yourself on fire!

Reply #12

TestMonkey points at Trigger-Happy-IchBin and laughs. :P

I incline towards easier, too. The forum presents a screen with additional options next load - so you have time to change your mind or just click. Trying to prevent/make harder for people to do what they want on their forum doesn't seem to actually solve anything, IMHO, only makes it more time-consuming to do what they'd do anyway.
/2c, no strong preferences.

Reply #13

Here's the thing: you're talking about banning spammers, but would you not be inclined to discourage spammers from even getting to post spam in the first place, thus limiting the need to ban.

I've always seen banning as a last-resort rather than a first line of defence against things.

Reply #14

Oh sure, it's a last resort, but it's still a useful thing to have in reserve. When you do want it, I can't see the point of making access more difficult. If the admin is a loony with the banhammer, the site is probably doomed anyway. People tend to vote with their feet when admins don't behave in a reasonable manner.
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P