Skip to main content
Topic: Custom translation (Read 3421 times) previous topic - next topic

Custom translation

I need to change some translations specific for my forum, I know I can edit the translations from ACP or directly editing the files in themes/default/languages/ but this is not what I need, since next time I will update the translation I will loose my "custom translations".
Is there a way in elkarte to create a custom file with only the strings I want to change? or any other alternative?
sorry for my bad english

Re: Custom translation

Reply #1

You can include them via something like a preload hook at set them in the right place or if it’s set later in the loader one of the final hooks should also work to overwrite any of them.

Reply #2

Try adding the in english/Addons.english.php for english. You can do the same for other language. I think that should overwrite default settings. I think...   ;D

Reply #3

Use a different language other than the ones in the update package.  ;D

With every update I have to check all the language files and translate the new lines. Not funny also.  :-X

Reply #4

Quote from: ahrasis – Try adding the in english/Addons.english.php for english. You can do the same for other language. I think that should overwrite default settings. I think...   ;D
^^ This should work. (Unless it's broken xD )
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #5

I like the idea of using a custom file like Addons.italian.php, but it doesn't work for me, I still see the original translations. :(
Can anyone test this and confirm is working?
sorry for my bad english

Reply #6

What string are you trying to replace?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #7

The file Addons.language.php is considered by elkarte, the first time I created it I forgot to put in the begging "<?php" and this caused a white page with some warnings and errors.

I did a test with a couple of casual strings from Admin.language.php
sorry for my bad english

Reply #8

I think you will still need to backup the Addons.english.php, if you modify it, before running full EA updates/upgrades, just in case, as the empty version of that file exists in the full installation/upgrade package.

Reply #9

Thanks for answering @ahrasis‍ but I I'm not sure I understand what should I do
sorry for my bad english

Reply #10

I mean Addons.english.php file comes with full EA package and you need to back up yours if you make changes to it so that if you run a upgrade or update or fix using the full EA package, that file will be replaced.

Reply #11

Good to know, but it did not work for me. 
sorry for my bad english

Reply #12

Then I think this should be noted as a bug. @emanuele @Spuds what do you think ?

Reply #13

I think an upgrade package should not overwrite my addons language file. Thanks for the hint!  :o