Skip to main content
Topic: Problem with PHP Version on a GoDaddy account (Read 1179 times) previous topic - next topic

Problem with PHP Version on a GoDaddy account

Hello,

I am managing the forum of a friend for some years and it's still a very old version.
I wanted to upgrade to the most recent version ElkArte 1.1.7, but the problem is my friend has a GoDaddy account that runs PHP 5.6.40 and I can not change it to any other PHP version because there is also other php software running on the same account that is not compatible with PHP 7.x

Do you know of any workaround for that?
.htaccess for just the folder where the forum is located? (I can't find anything substantial on the internet.)

Otherwise I would update to the latest compatible ElkArte version that still run with PHP 5.6
Which one would that be?

Thank you in advance and best regards,
Esteffano

Re: Problem with PHP Version on a GoDaddy account

Reply #1

I'll say 1.1.7 should run fine on 5.6, we do run test cases against that version.  I even remember having to update a change just so it ran under 5.6  :(

Now some caveat(s)
- Our test cases only cover about 25% of the code, some of the most important parts yes, but not complete.  No excuses on the coverage, its simply not top of list.
- Even with best of intentions, newer PHP version constructs seem to find sneak in.  I expect 1.1.7 t will run fine on 5.6 but I would not be surprised if there were a few areas that have newer PHP items that snuck their way in and will toss an error.  As found we can recommend changes.
- I think we ran an early 1.1.7 here on 5.6, certainly we ran 1.1.6 on 5.6.

Reply #2

Thank you.
I will try 1.1.6
We are currently on 1.0.9
The forum wasn't updated since 2016!  :o

Best regards,
Esteffano

Reply #3

Yeah thats about 9 updates ago !  If you run into any snags let us know so we can try to help.