Skip to main content
Topic: Just an idea: recent posts at top of board index (Read 3083 times) previous topic - next topic

Just an idea: recent posts at top of board index

This is something I did when playing around with a custom theme for SMF. Guests don't get the unread/replies functions, nor do they get any indication of new posts. The only thing they can go off for new stuff is recent posts, and the only way of getting there is to scroll to the bottom of the board index first.

The board index tends not to be used that much by logged in members anyway, unless they're looking for a board to start a new topic in or looking up an older topic. So sticking recent posts up the top instead of down the bottom probably wouldn't bother logged in members, but would be useful for guests.

When testing the idea on the theme in question I didn't find it a nuisance when I was logged in. I gave it a collapse toggle anyway, so it was easy to hide if anyone wanted to. Another option would be to only display it to guests, since logged in members hardly need it.

Food for thought. :)
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Re: Just an idea: recent posts at top of board index

Reply #1

Quote from: Antechinus – The only thing they can go off for new stuff is recent posts, and the only way of getting there is to scroll to the bottom of the board index first.
If we don't count the button "recent posts" under "home" ("community" in this site). :P
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #2

Yeah I wasn't counting that. :P

Reply #3

Could have it up top for guest and below for logged in as well, so guests get to see something and it out of the way of members.

If its a separate panel (moved out of the stats) then we could even add the drag and drop arrangement stuff like we have with simple portal blocks, so folks could move it to where they wanted, like between categories or whatever.  Not sure if that's useful here, just a random thought.

Reply #4

I think anywhere else on the board index would just be a nuisance. IMO the only other place it's worth having recent posts is in a portal sidebar that's accessible from all pages. That can be really handy, but obviously only if you're installing a portal anyway.

Reply #5

That's why I'd love to have the portal built-in. :P
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #6

Well don't let me talk you out of it. Where is built-in portal then? :P

Reply #8

K. So presumably you'd be thinking of building in the "next big version" of SP, or adapting it or whatever.