Skip to main content
Topic: Smilies (Read 1338 times) previous topic - next topic

Smilies

OK a new post so I can start again on this subject.

• The default smilies are too small
    There are only three alternatives in Addons and all are small
    The Smiley management doesn't allow for custom sizes like phpBB does

The smilies themselves are fine - just too small. Is there a solution to this please? I should add my users are pressuring me to sort it!!

ps the List codes result is odd as above. Sorry.

Re: Smilies

Reply #1

You can add custom smileys any size you want. You can also replace existing images with larger ones. Smiley size is dictated by image size.  ;)

Reply #2

Thanks but how?I went to Forum "smilies and message icons" and got two buttons: Smiley Sets and Settings

Smiley Sets show the default and clicking modify just shows the paths and the name. No option to add smilies.

Clicking on Settings again has no option to add smilies. There is an option "enable customised smileys" but if ticked, new posts displays a long list of code!

So those are the only options for smileys I can find under configuration or Forum.

The files on the server are all OK according to Maintenance. Can I do a sort of repair reinstall of the elk software without loosing my forum setup?

Reply #3

I'm little lost myself because I'm now not entirely sure of what you are looking at, so I'll recap the whole procedure and we can start "fresh".

1) Enable "custom smiley":
admin > forum > Smiley and message icons > settings
select "enable customized smileys" (and save)
admin > forum > Smiley and message icons > add smiley (or edit smiley)
add or change the smiley

There you can upload new smiley or change the code for existing ones, add tooltip descriptions, or select the location of the smiley.

Is it here that you are having issues?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #4

You can also just let the browser scale up (or down) the existing smileys.  Add some simple css.

Code: [Select]
img.smiley { vertical-align:middle; height: 20px;}

Set the height to whatever you want.  I used to have a page that let people set it to their choice and stored the setting in a cookie so you could have different sizes on difference devices.

Reply #5

Good idea. But having got Emanuele's instructions I sussed it out. I had to find some very large smilies as individual images [most seem supplied as a sheet] then use Photoshop to resize each one. Then ftp them to my host then use the Add Smilie tool to set the code and name for each one, one at a time. Phew.

I can tell that the developers scorn smilies and only grudgingly provide them. However my users love 'em and the customer is always right. O:-)