Skip to main content
Topic: Ad-Blockers (Read 4374 times) previous topic - next topic

Ad-Blockers

Can ad-blockers interfere with Lekarte? I seem to remember reading that sometimes a feature such as a social button or the Like button doesn't work if an ad-blocker is running. Any info in general please?

Re: Ad-Blockers

Reply #1

On my forum a member complained that he did not see the Like button and this was caused by an ad-blocker.
sorry for my bad english

Reply #2

Quote from: radu81 – On my forum a member complained that he did not see the Like button and this was caused by an ad-blocker.

I can confirm with the newest version! Ad-Blocker blocks away the Like-Button.

ElkArte v1.1.6
uBlock Origin v1.23.0 in Chrome

Reply #3

Thanks for the report.

From my testing (I also use Ublock Origin) the only way I was able to get it to remove the like button was to enable the optional Annoyances filters.  Then specifically under that annoyances grouping,  the "Fanboy’s Social" list.   In that list I found the like_button selector, which is what we use, so it gets blocked.

The list of blocked items (filtered is a better term here) for that can be seen here:  https://easylist.to/easylist/fanboy-social.txt  ... its 26K lines of css selectors to block.  You could also use that list  in adblock as well, so its not a Ublock specific block.

A bug or working as designed?   If someone wants to filter out social content, then it seems like they are getting what they want in this case, no like button.   Of course we could rename the class to one that is not filtered (and update the associated JS as well), but seems that if they want it blocked then it is really working as it should, and they can whitelist a site as well.