Skip to main content
Topic: Font Size and Spacing in Reports (Read 3534 times) previous topic - next topic

Font Size and Spacing in Reports

Because of my age and eyes, I am pretty keen on pages being readable.  I have noticed in the Admin Center>Reports section the reports are displaying with a wee tiny font and in bold. I would like to offer the below changes as suggestions to try. I belive with the below changes all users of the Reports section will be satisfied with the readability of the reports. I did look around other pages and did not see where the below changes adversely affected something else.

In themes\default\css\admin.css make the below changes ..

Code: [Select]
.table_caption, tr.table_caption td {
    color: #000;
    font-size: .855em;                /* original .714 made letters too small in reports */
    font-weight: bold;                /* original is bold, does work as normal also, bold seems better */
}

In themes\default\css\index.css make the below changes ..

Code: [Select]
/* Basic cells. */
.table_grid td, .letterspacing{
    padding: 5px 4px;                    /* original was 5px 8px, made reports awkward */
    border-bottom: 1px solid #ccc;
}

The report that is improved the most with the above changes is the Membersgroup report.

Re: Font Size and Spacing in Reports

Reply #1

0.714 em is ridiculously tiny. I have no idea why some people think making things hard to read is good interface design. It's possible it was coded by someone who is using a display with a very coarse pixel pitch, but it's not suitable for general use.

The standard sizes used elsewhere are based on 1em being 14px. The smallest I used anywhere in the Elk alpha CSS was 12px (0.857em) apart from a couple of limited exceptions that don't really need to be read (new posts icon, etc). This is a good minimum size that is still pretty easy to read on most screens.

Using pure black (#000) on a pure white background (#FFF) is not good for general readability either. It can cause problems for some people. Better practice is to use a very dark grey (#333 works well).
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #3

Greetings TE,

Thank you for the above changes. There is one more item to look at in the reports section and that is in the Board Permissions report. The font is set for 'strong' for the permission types. This is only is occuring in the Board Permissions report; the font is normal for the other reports. 

The 'strong' setting is a bit much for the visual layout and is even more apparent (due to colors) in a theme I am working on. Can that 'strong' be removed?

Regards,

p.s. ... not trying to be picky, just trying to get consistency and eye appeal for the default theme and its varients.  :)

Reply #4

That should be done via CSS, not via HTML strong tags. It's a myth that these are better for a11y. Screen readers ignore them (and ignore em tags and all the other "voice" tags).
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #5

Quote from: AaronB – Greetings TE,
The 'strong' setting is a bit much for the visual layout and is even more apparent (due to colors) in a theme I am working on. Can that 'strong' be removed?
Yep, I'll check ..
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Reply #7

:)   That looks very nice now. Thanks!