Skip to main content
Topic: Site Upgrading (We hope) (Read 19193 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Site Upgrading (We hope)

Reply #30

Where's the jump to top/bottom links? Am I blind and just missing them?
Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion, you must set yourself on fire!

Reply #31

Right side of the screen, about half way up (or half way down if you like). Roughly where you'd expect a scroll bar to be. Since some people were grumbling about the old ones taking over their lives and messing with their heads, I made the new ones less obtrusive. ;D
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #32

Quote from: IchBin – Where's the jump to top/bottom links? Am I blind and just missing them?

Hopefully the scrolling speed improves, too. On Firefox, it's terribly jittery.

Reply #33

Smooth as silk on my Firefox, with W7 OS. The speed is really slow on very short pages, because it's just timed for a set period top to bottom. So, if you don't need to go far it'll appear to be slow. You can just flick the mouse wheel or click the scrollbar though, so I don't think it's a problem.

Reply #34

The jitter is there even when just scrolling with the mousewheel, although a bit less. I suspect its the js of those arrows thats interfering since the effect is on all pages... compare to the main SMF site wheres no jitter whatsover anywhere.

Is that effect really needed? Why can't the arrows just take you straight up?

Reply #35

What combo are you running? Like I said, it's smooth as silk for me. No jitter at all. So I can't compare it with anything else because AFAICT there's nothing to compare.

Are you running W7 with FF or some other OS? First rule of bug reports: give sufficient information. :D

Quote from: Bloc – Is that effect really needed? Why can't the arrows just take you straight up?
Of course it's not "really needed". Most things aren't. In terms of function we could just echo raw HTML and it would work. However, personally I find the scroll effect much more pleasant than a straight jump.

Reply #36

Hey, its your a baby.. :) if it doesn't work, then you should investigate. I am on a decent combo, and like I said its not on main SMF site.

"not needed" is meant as : not needed when its noticeable sideffects. IMO an effect is only good when its doing what it should without any hiccups, something I try to keep with using Mootools too.(I assume the effect is JQuery-based) . For example, I wanted a slide effect on a big portion as default, but since it was sluggish I did not use it, but figured out another way for making it more alive instead.

Thats why i suggest: a straight jump - at least until a better scroll is found.

EDIT: if you want details though: win7 Pro, 1080p screen, 64bit Quad 3.9Ghz, 8Gb mem, 2gb Nvidia card...using Chrome or FF latest(worse on FF).

Reply #37

Smooth for me as well ... win7/FF23  i7 laptop without a fancy zombie killing video card  :P

Reply #38

Quote from: Bloc – EDIT: if you want details though: win7 Pro, 1080p screen, 64bit Quad 3.9Ghz, 8Gb mem, 2gb Nvidia card...using Chrome or FF latest(worse on FF).
Ok, so that's basically the same rig I'm running, and FF is totally smooth for me. Only difference is I have a 3.3 gig CPU, which if anything should make it worse. So I'm not sure how I could investigate this, since I can't reproduce it even though we're running the same gear. The only thing I can think of is maybe it has something to do with FF or Chrome add-ons, if you're running any of those.

Reply #39

I don't have any problem with the scrolling. Using Firefox 23.0.1.

My specifications
Code: [Select]
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1
CPU: Intel Atom N2600 @ 1.60GHz Cedarview 32nm Technology
RAM: 2.00GB
Screen: Digital Flat Panel (1280x1024 60Hz) (1024x600@60Hz)
Graphic: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3600 Series (Acer Incorporated [ALI])
Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 11:08:47 am by kucing
192.MY.ID: Forum ISP Indonesia.

Reply #40

Well, there is a difference. :) Its meant as a notabene though, what you do with it is entirely up to you.

EDIT: I turned off Logitech smooth scrolling extension in my Chrome, and the speed is then the same . I suspect the javascript of that extension is indeed interfering with the js in the page - since they touch upon the same routines for scrolling the page.

Not a bug for me anymore, then.
Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 11:20:06 am by Bloc

Reply #41

Quote from: Antechinus – Right side of the screen, about half way up (or half way down if you like). Roughly where you'd expect a scroll bar to be. Since some people were grumbling about the old ones taking over their lives and messing with their heads, I made the new ones less obtrusive. ;D

I like that. But perhaps a slightly transparent arrow to display to the user to let them know what that graphic is used for. Would have probably never noticed it, had you not pointed it out. The highlight is fine, just need an indicator perhaps. 

I personally don't care for the page scroll either. But I'll just change it if I don't like it. :D
Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion, you must set yourself on fire!

Reply #42

Quote from: Bloc – Well, there is a difference. :) Its meant as a notabene though, what you do with it is entirely up to you.

EDIT: I turned off Logitech smooth scrolling extension in my Chrome, and the speed is then the same . I suspect the javascript of that extension is indeed interfering with the js in the page - since they touch upon the same routines for scrolling the page.

Not a bug for me anymore, then.
Ok, that gives a good indication of what the problem is. I run some Logitech bits but I never bother installing any of the stuff they try to get me to install. I just plug-n-play their keyboard and mouse and it all works. Last time I tried to enable the stuff they reckon it needs, things went down the crapper. :D

@IchBin: can do arrows. They're shown on hover anyway, so having them the rest of the time is even easier.

Reply #43

Attached :)

Reply #44

Haven't looked at mobile stuff yet. I thought we were having a seperate mobile theme for that.