Skip to main content
Topic: Autoload the latest draft (Read 1909 times) previous topic - next topic

Autoload the latest draft

Let's say I start writing a new topic in Feature Discussion board and the draft is saved.
I do not post the topic, but the draft is still there.
Later, I start a topic in the same board, instead of presenting an empty textarea, it would be nice to have the text of the previous draft pre-loaded.
The same apply to topic replies: start a reply, go away, start again a reply to the same topic, load the draft.

Don't shoot at me, I know it cannot load the latest draft forever, and not even twice in a row, there should be mechanisms to avoid that (e.g. check if after the latest draft has been saved you have already answered to the same topic or created another topic in the same board, or maybe something more sophisticated based on drafts IDs, etc.).

An idea.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Re: Autoload the latest draft

Reply #1

For me crashing of browser is the most annoying thing. Especially when I almost completed an article. I use a Firefox add on called Textarea cache which retain what we type in event of crashing of browser. May be we can take a leaf or two from that add on.

Nice suggestion @emanuele

Reply #2

I like this idea. Or, a less intrusive way could just be to give the reply a "warning" bar (QR too, is there even a warning bar setup for QR?) with a message indicating that there are saved drafts from the thread in question.

Hell, if Elk could always tell me when I have a saved draft for some thread, without having to load the full reply window , that'd be really cool.

Reply #3

I like the idea as well, and since the system knows if there are drafts for a specific topic, it could load the latest one it has automatically, at least I think it should be easyish, or even a load last draft button?

Quote Elk could always tell me when I have a saved draft for some thread, without having to load the full reply window , that'd be really cool.
I think that is lacking in QR, but yup that would be cool .. maybe could start with a a load last draft button if it finds one for that topic ... although I don't think QR currently is draft aware.

Reply #4

Quick reply may be ajax-magic "on (first) focus"?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.