Skip to main content
Topic: Birthdate layout (Read 1842 times) previous topic - next topic

Birthdate layout

Hi all! I wonder if something like this should be in the core: http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3118

Why? Easy, the design is all made of nice and gentle popups/hover effects, which is lovely. I wonder that it might be a good thing to add that one too. :)

Best regards to the EK team.
~ SimplePortal Support Team ~

Re: Birthdate layout

Reply #1

That's a huge downgrade. You're talking about going from an international standard format to a very archaic American date format?

The real solution here is to move to an HTML5 date field for birthdates. This would localise according to the client's browser locale and would provide a calendar popup.

This would require a polyfill for Firefox and Safari though: http://caniuse.com/#feat=input-datetime

Reply #2

Well, the order could be adjusted according to the internationalization settings in some way for sure.

But, yes, a datetime would be best, though the datetime input doesn't really seem to be very well supported (at least according to caniuse) so, I would go with some jQueryUI date picker widget or something similar (I think jQueryUI is already loaded in the profile section editing, or at least in some places, so not a big hassle there).
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #3

I don't know how you plan to do that and perhaps even in a better way, I just wanted to shoot it out ;)
As regards the layout well Facebook has that design and it seems that especially noobs find that really easy, people who are so damn lazy not to write the actual brithdate but they just want to select it from a dropdown. And I was not talking about the order, I was talking about the layout *ONLY*, sorry for not being cristal clear.

Reply #4

Thinking about it a second time, a date picker or a dateinput field may not be an option according to features, for example you can decide not to input the year, and I'm not sure this is allowed in these two options...
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #5

You could just leave a "---" option in order not to show one of those fields if the user doesn't choose a proper one couldn't you? :)