Skip to main content
Topic: Issues with the Activation E-Mails (Read 1907 times) previous topic - next topic

Issues with the Activation E-Mails

Dear all

I have migrated a Forum that was running on SMF to Elkarte 1.0 and now 1.1.5  (on PHP 7.2)

The conversion worked well (I have never worked on php or forums before ) , all user, messages, ect. are now runing on Elkarte.
Congrats to the developpers for the easy installation process :).

But now I'm stuck with fixing an issue with E-mails.
I am able to register as new user, but the activation E-Mails are not working (I tested different E-Mail addresses including the one that worked here)
People interested in becoming user receive the "thank you for registering-Message", but they don't get an E-Mail to activate their accounts.

Any ideas, what might be the reason and what I can check or change? I guess, that this function was not working on the SMF because the latest successful registration was about 1 year ago and there was a large list of "waiting for activation accounts".

The only check I have done so far was this one:
<?php
$rec = 'nobody@example.com';
$subj = 'any subject';
$mess = 'hello';
$header = 'From: webmaster@example.com' . "\r\n" .
    'Reply-To: webmaster@example.com' . "\r\n" .
    'X-Mailer: PHP/' . phpversion();

mail($rec, $subj, $mess, $header);
?>
Such a simplified mail-function in php creates and sends a mail correctly, when executed.

It is this forum: http://www.kaninchentreff.de/yabbse/index.php

Best wishes
Lina

Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 05:46:36 pm by Geto

Re: Issues with the Activation E-Mails

Reply #1

Hi and welcome to elkarte!
Did you checked that "Method of registration employed for new members " is set up as "Email activation" in Admin > Members > Registration > Settings?
sorry for my bad english

Reply #2

Hi Radu

yes, this setting is there or at least was there.

I now tried registering with the "direct registering"-option and this time I receive an error message:
https://www.elkarte.net/community/index.php?action=dlattach;sa=tmpattach;attach=post_tmp_963_eddcb562b388be91bbbd1e4ccd8e2910;topic=5477

Reply #3

E-Mails from the forum are working --> I can send newsletters  :) .

But the registration process is still not working and producing the error "Wrong value type sent to the database. Integer expected. (id_member)"

Any ideas?

Reply #4

Sorry, I can't help, but I'm sure someone else will do. Post the error you are seeing into Admin > Error logs
sorry for my bad english

Reply #5

Hi

i tried a lot of variants - and now it works :)  :)   :)

The error
QuoteWrong value type sent to the database. Integer expected. (id_member)
seems to be due to reusing E-Mail. With e-mail adresses that have not been used before, I don't get this error.

For an unknown reason the original e-mail did't not work.
I now created a new E-Mail adress for the forum and now everything is functional :).

Thanks
Lina

Reply #6

Quote from: Geto –
QuoteWrong value type sent to the database. Integer expected. (id_member)
seems to be due to reusing E-Mail. With e-mail adresses that have not been used before, I don't get this error.
Hello and welcome to elk.net! :D
Sorry for the late reply, but it has been a difficult week, both because of an unstable internet connection and for a bit more work than expected.

In theory, if the email address is already used, it should not even be possible to complete the registration process, let alone have a registration email sent.
The error seems a bit strange, I guess some investigation would be necessary.
Could you please describe a little more in details what you did?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.