Skip to main content
Topic: Getting error message on signing up (Read 1651 times) previous topic - next topic

Getting error message on signing up

I'm doing a test registration on my forum, trying to sign up a fake "member."  I'm getting this:  Your session timed out while posting. Please go back and try again.

So, I tried clearing history, cookies and so on.   Still getting the same error message when trying to register.

Now, a few side notes, I'm using Brave browser with their new security "shields" on, (don't know if that would have anything to with this).   I can login to my forum and the Elkarte forum without a problem using Brave.  Must be only a problem with registering?  BTW, used Softaculous to install the forum.  Could that be a cause?  I really hope I don't have to rebuild and reinstall the forum manually...  :'(

Re: Getting error message on signing up

Reply #1

hmm... there are lots of variables.
First could you try to use another browser?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #2

Hi Emanuele,
Well, I can register fine on my forum with both Edge and FF.

Now hears the weird part.  If I click on "Request another image" before hitting the register button, (just to test that), the image disappears and I get the same :  An Error Has Occurred
Your session timed out while posting. Please go back and try again.  
  I do use uBlock Origin popup blocker on both FF and Edge, not sure if that has anything to do with it.

I would like to try registering here at the site, with just using FF, to see if I get the same error.  I of course will delete the fake account after I've ran the registration test.

UPDATE:  I signed up without a problem using Brave browser, even testing the changing for the letter images, all without a problem. So I know its something on my forum not working correctly.   (I did not follow throgh with the email confirmation)

Hmmm....I am leaning to it being a problem that Softaculous hasnt installed everything correctly?  Just a thought.
Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 01:08:51 pm by elk_is_cool

Reply #3

I doubt it's a problem with softaculos.
Judging by
QuoteWell, I can register fine on my forum with both Edge and FF.
I'd say it's a problem with the settings of your other browser. Maybe you set it a bit too strict.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #4

Well, just for grins and giggles, I went into the Maintenance section of the Admin panel.  I had it do a file check, and Elk found 4 files that needed correcting.  One of the files was a session file.  Elk corrected all 4 files.  So, I think that may have cleared up the problem.  I noticed when checking for version updates, both "database" and "admin" showed version 1.1.2.   Is this something to worry about?    Thanks.