Skip to main content
Topic: Always a "Follow up" by splitting topics (Read 2596 times) previous topic - next topic

Always a "Follow up" by splitting topics

Hello!

I have a few little bugs in forum wich are less important, as I believe - but that one should be "killed" ;)

There is always a "follow up" in a topic if I split it, even if I don't choose this opinion. It happens in each way of splitting topics, a "follow up link" is created in the "old topic" and in the "new topic" a link back to the "old topic" is shown.

This link will disapear if I merge the splitted posts with another topic. So it will be okay for this. But very often I do not merge them.

And - for example - sometimes the users should not see, that some posts had been splitted to build another topic....ore maybe had been moved to another board, it could be one, in which they are not allowed to read. So they should not have a "follow up" to such topics and boards.

I don't know, how I can change this... I think, it is a bug?

Re: Always a "Follow up" by splitting topics

Reply #1

Let's start from the bottom.

Quote from: Ruth – I don't know, how I can change this... I think, it is a bug?
Actually, it is the intended behaviour: the rationale is that people tend to want to know where their messages have gone.
Also, for that specific option there is no option, it just happens. The option is to post an explicit message at the end of the topic to explain where the messages have gone.
But please read the entire message before jump to the guns, thanks. ;)

I've seen such a situation at a forum recently, where a topic were split, the animosity was already very high and it ended up with accusations to the moderators that posts were deleted.
Of course the "follow up" is not really perfect because in case of splitting is attached to the first message and as such is not really that useful (it should be attached to the message before the first split), but for now it will do).

Quote from: Ruth – And - for example - sometimes the users should not see, that some posts had been splitted to build another topic....
Could you give me some examples of when that happens so that I can have a base?
Up to now I have always needed to let people know where the posts have gone, and I always found useful to have a reference to/from the topic originator from/to the topic originated, both for moderation reasons and for personal reasons (for example bits of information may have been lost in the splitting process and left in the original topic or moved to the new one, so jump back and forth is interesting.

Quote from: Ruth – ore maybe had been moved to another board, it could be one, in which they are not allowed to read. So they should not have a "follow up" to such topics and boards.
Anyone that doesn't have access to a certain board will not see any follow up pointing to that certain board.
For example: if I split this topic, and move the new one to an hidden board that you cannot see, then you will not see anything except the fact few messages disappeared.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #2

Not sure that I understood everything, emanuele...

Yes, I do agree that people normally should see what happend to their posts, which had been splitted. In this case the follow ups and the links back are very needful and can always be there.

But very often my users are writing things in a topic, which have nothing to do with the subject of the topic. ;) They should discuss maybe about the age of a doll, but suddenly they are talking about a teddybear or their new car. So I will split those posts if possible and maybe merge them with another topic or move the new topic to another board.

Sometimes a follow up will be needful for such splitted topics, sometimes it would be senceless or irritating. It don't like a follow up to someones new car in a topic which is about dolls.

It also very often happens that people don't start a new topic for a new subject, as they should do. They are using the reply-button, instead the button "new topic". I split such posts always to create a new topic for them and a follow up should not be there, if I don't want it.

Or maybe there had been some trouble in a topic, a bad argue, a fight, bad behavior of one ore more users. (I don't know the english words for it) We are used to split such topics, because such things are disturbing the discussion about the topics subject. Sometimes we do it immediately, sometimes a few months or years later. If we don't delete such "bad" posts, we move them to another board. Such posts need not to have a follow up. It will always remind people of a bad situation in forum, which had been years ago.  I know it is a kind of censorship, but we do this, because we don't want to irritate other, maybe new users, which where not involved in that bad situation. (puh...very difficult to explain for me)

I thought, it must be a bug, that follow ups are always created, because there is an opinion to choose, if you want to have a follow up or not, when you are splitting a topic? But it don't works, if I don't want to have them.

QuoteAnyone that doesn't have access to a certain board will not see any follow up pointing to that certain board.
For example: if I split this topic, and move the new one to an hidden board that you cannot see, then you will not see anything except the fact few messages disappeared.

Yes, but I will get an error message, if there is a follow up in this topic here and if I try to use this follow up? In my forum there would be a follow up. I think, this is a mistake?

If I use the splitting under the button "More..." in the posts, I will get this, with the possibility to chooce, if I want to create a follow up or not. And there will be always a follow up, even if I don't select it.
Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 06:30:52 am by Ruth

Reply #3

Quick answer because I'm the middle of the lunch. :P

Quote from: Ruth – I thought, it must be a bug, that follow ups are always created, because there is an opinion to choose, if you want to have a follow up or not, when you are splitting a topic? But it don't works, if I don't want to have them.
There is an option to post a new message, not about the "follow up".
Honestly I can't read German at all, but the English version is:
QuotePost a message when the topic is split.
;)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #4

Well...it says the same in german.  :D  I misunderstood this completely ....and did not try it yet, what will happen if I select this. Sorry, emanuele!

So it is no bug....okay... very good to know.

But I don't like this behavior at all...I would prefer to have a possibility to choose, if there should be a follow up or not.

Hmmm...

Maybe it is less important, as I believe...not sure.

Edit:

I have tested it now a little more...there is no follow up for users, if I move the splitted part/the new topic to a board, in wich they are not allowed to read, as you said. I thought, this would be different in our forum.
Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 07:48:46 am by Ruth