Skip to main content
Topic: My SMF Mods - Anyone that wants to, can Port them. (Read 6101 times) previous topic - next topic

My SMF Mods - Anyone that wants to, can Port them.

My SMF Mods - Anyone that wants to, can fork them and Port them to ElkArte.

Here is my list. Some I listed may not be needed, but I still listed them. :P

SMF Mods by: BurkeKnight - BK-SMF - BK-Modding - BurkeKnight Enterprises

http://www.burkeknight.info/SMF-Simple_Machines_Forum-Mods/

BurkeKnight_Redirect_New_Tab_1.1 (For redirect boards)
Group_Key_Order_and_Style_1.1
Mark_as_Read_Redirect
Off_Topic_bbc
Remove_Attachment_Info
Rounded_Corners_for_Quote_and_Code_Blocks
Social_Media_Buttons_Replace_SMF_Logo

Avatar Packs: ( Done, thanks to @Spuds )
Star Trek Avatars
Star Trek Deep Space 9 Avatars
Men of Star Trek Avatars
Star Trek The Next Generation Avatars
Star Trek The Original Series Avatars
Star Trek Voyager Avatars
Women of Star Trek Avatars
Realm Avatars

I have no idea on the coding for Elk yet, so I know I can't port them.
All I ask, is that once ported, my name stay on them, as original author.
Whoever ports them, can become the current author. :)

Re: My SMF Mods - Anyone that wants to, can Port them.

Reply #1

Coolness ... and thank you!

I'll probably port some over soon :D

Reply #2

Go Spuds go!

emanuele is doing some other things, not much time... :'(
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #3

Burke, you can also do it yourself. If you are not so sure, just ask.[1]
Mine aren't all here either. Some are not so important to me since ElkArte already has most wanted features built-in. ;)

Reply #4

Well, do not forget, Hooks and I do not get along. :P

Reply #5

What is the issue with hooks? Maybe we can help teach you or fix something.

Reply #6

Well, it's hard for me to learn, I have learning disabilities.
And it just happens, that I get so lost trying to learn Hooks... LOL

I'm 38 years old, but due to some disabilities, mentally and emotionally,[1] I'm more equal to an average 6-10 year old in most ways.
I manage to learn some things, but as can usually see, most of what I do, I have to get serious help, to do.
Most of the mods I had for SMF, were actually either take overs, or ones I made with permission from their Tips & Tricks board.

Others, were just simple mods, that the only reason made them mods, were for those that were worse off than me, and did not want to go edit files manually.

Hey, I do what I can, and I fully admit, I'm not a coder, and just usually stumble across things by knowing what I want, and accidentally getting it! LOL  :D
Not intelligence, though that's low, too.

Reply #7

I am really sorry to hear that.

I has a 9 year old son with autisme and other than my legal profession, am running an education centre for kids with learning differences. So I quite understand any learning differences and abilities.

I am also sure many of us[1] can help you with that as not all mod can be done via hook. Some will still be needing old style manual modification.
I am personally quite busy with real life to assist for the time being but do throw questions here as others may be available to assist

Reply #8

Don't be. I'm actually happy being me, even if kid minded. :)

Quote from: ahrasis – not all mod can be done via hook. Some will still be needing old style manual modification.

Yeah, that there is very true. Yet, I think all the ones I listed, can and should be done as hooks...

Just, um...... Not by me.... LOL :)

Reply #9

You're not alone :P I kind of get it, but can't write anything using hooks system.

Reply #10

I remember the first time I saw the hooks documentation I was a bit WTH. lol
Then, as usual, I started playing with them, do things wrong, etc. but in the end I got the grasp of most of them (those for account integration are still a bit foggy in my mind).
One thing I find... annoying is the way to add them to the database, because there is no "easy way", you have to rely on a working environment able to do a query (so it's not enough to drop in the file and wait). And that's something I worked on for 1.1.
Apart from that... yeah, it's a different idea, you have to think not at the "big picture", but only to your part of the code, it's not always easy, because you have a white page in front of you when you start writing. :)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #11

We have hooks, you really need to let me know these things :P  They can seem a bit odd at first, I guess since you are letting the code do its thing and then changing the result in a hook vs a source edit where you effect the original outcome. Of course there are other uses for hooks, like injecting new things.

Anyway while pondering what I wanted to and what I needed to work on next (not related to this thread at all), I did pack up the avatar pacs.  All I did was change the "links" to elkarte ... and ran the images through an optimizer to crunch them down a bit.  Should work, but emanuele as taught me well and I did no testing  O:-)

Reply #12

Quote from: Spuds – Should work, but emanuele as taught me well and I did no testing  O:-)
You are learning well. nods
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #13

@Spuds
Thank you, my friend. :)

Now, @emanuele
I have these remade avatar packs....
How do we get them onto your mod site? :P