Skip to main content
Topic: Forum permissions (Read 1068 times) previous topic - next topic

Forum permissions

Hi

I am new to Elk. I have created a forum with multiple categories. What I would like to understand better and achieve is that when people visit the main URL of the Elk install and when registering. The registration request asks which category the new member would like access to. As it stands if anyone registers the new member will be able to view most of the existing categories already created.
The only way I have managed to limit access to which categories people can view, was to create member-groups for that specific category. e.g If I created a category called Linux. I would then create a member-group called Linux and add members manually and create a user name and password. That way when people visit the main Elk install login , that person who has been added in the Linux member group can only view the Linux category. What I would like to understand better and achieve is for people to be able to visit the main Elk login and when attempting registration , they are asked which category from a list which they would like access to. I do not want people to register and be able to see all existing categories. I have managed to limit the visibility to some categories, but this has been more guessing than good management. I am sorry I have not worded this question better. Any advise or if I can re-word this question better I would love to here from you.

Kind Regards
Darren
Darren J Cleaver