Skip to main content
Topic: Message index sorting options are a mess. (Read 7813 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Message index sorting options are a mess.

Reply #15

Well there ya go. Performance and a cleaner gui. What's not to like? :D
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #16

The fact that OMG we don't have some stats that we had before that people might like to look at.

Reply #17

And thats the true crux of the problem ... its a take away with no true compelling reason ... view counts, no matter how inaccurate,  seem to be a general expectation of software.

Reply #18

Does that mean we have to blindly follow suit? I mean I have tried ditching them, and it doesn't seem to result in people freaking out.

And personally I'd say a less cluttered gui and better performance are sound reasons.

Reply #19

Yes, be daring and do something *scary*! :P

Arantor adds it to his to-do list for his sekrit projekt.

Reply #20

Just voicing my opinion does not mean I'm a lemming ;)  I gave you my thoughts, you can make a PR to remove the item from the GUI, Sources and DB, who knows it may get included woot!

QuoteYes, be daring and do something *scary*! :P
I wanted to remove glow, shadow and move ... how scary is that ... yes they are still there  :'(  :P

Reply #21

Oh, I won't be doing PRs, that Github stuff seems so fragile to me (and I know Ant's in the Github-haterz club) :P It's not a huge job though, just remembering to pick up all the tendrils of it is not a big job just takes a little care.

I see no reason why glow, shadow and move should still be present.

Arantor hands Spuds a small tactical anti-cruft device.

Reply #22

I'm happy if those get ditched. I can always do my infamous bouncing parrots BBC tag with nice, clean CSS3 (been meaning to play with that, but haven't had much incentive yet).

ETA: Come to think of it, I'd be perfectly happy if coloured text as a BBC tag was ditched too. 99% of the time it's only used by nutters who want to combine it with large font and caps to ruin everyone else's browsing.
Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 09:12:39 pm by Antechinus

Reply #24

Dunno. :D TBH I haven't looked at the codebase for a while as I've had all sorts of other stuff on. I'll make a serious effort to catch up on the weekend, and should probably take at least a bit of a look before then.

Reply #25

mmm...I think admins expect to see views, users... I tend to think that most of them don't care.
Okay, so ...what about making it optional?
I think there is already a setting somewhere to collect "detailed" stats, we can sneak that in somehow.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #26

I'd say keep them or loose them, but I don't think we need another option O:-)

I honestly just think its a theme decision, if a theme does not want to show them they just adjust the template.  I like to have them but that could just be the admin view of things, you know so I know how many people are ignoring that sticky faq :P  I'd prefer it as is but am not going to toss a cog if it goes either.

Reply #27

I like them just the way they are too. And I will throw a fit if you change it. :P
Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion, you must set yourself on fire!